PDA

View Full Version : New rules for SSDR

John Riley
29th March 2014, 07:35
I have been waiting for the new rules for SSDR to be published (300kg MAUW), but still no news. First it was end of 2013, then it was 1st April 2014.
Maybe I missed it, but as I have a previously registered SSDR I would have thought I'd have been contacted.

waiting in hopeful anticipation.

John

Wally Hayward
29th March 2014, 08:06
Guess we are all waiting for news.......... but it is not April 1st 2014 yet.......... at least not here in Scotland:-)

fury8
29th March 2014, 16:31
Its worse than having a baby! waiting that is! I really like the airbike, Im thinking on the lines of building an aluminium version of a Fournier RF3, under 300kgs! Wish there was a bigger choice of engines at reasonable prices.....

Paul Dewhurst
30th March 2014, 18:44
It will be a little longer yet, as always the devil is in the detail, and there is still some more steps the CAA need to complete before it can start. Not helped by the big reorganisation where loads of the CAA were made redundant and the remaining staff all reshuffled. the new GA unit trying to get it done ASAP - as their poster boy.

Paul

fury8
31st March 2014, 20:47
Thanks Paul ! here wishing, hoping and dreaming!!!

Wally Hayward
1st April 2014, 08:37
Thanks Paul.
I think that you mentioned in another thread that the CAA were intending issuing an Exemption if the latest date (today) was missed as the ANO only gets updated infrequently.
Do we have any new proposed date for that... or am I incorrect in my thinking?

Paul Dewhurst
1st April 2014, 22:01
Yes, the ANO has to have parliamentary time to change so is done twice a year I believe. So when everything is ready it will be actioned initially as an exemption until such time as it gets included in the ANO.

Paul

I-SOAR
2nd April 2014, 13:24
Please take a look in Buy / Sell / Rent - Wanted: Accountant.

Paul, thanks for all the hard work you've put in, we're fingers crossed the "rules" emerging will be no more than the headline proposal.

gweighell
2nd April 2014, 20:59
CAA put a revised target date as " a couple of weeks" at a meeting of the new General Aviation Partnership (GAP) on Monday.

John Riley
3rd April 2014, 07:28
Many thanks to Paul and Geoff.
I'll have to sky watch a little longer.

John

Wally Hayward
3rd April 2014, 15:57
As Kirk pointed out in another thread, I too thought "300kg SSDR" was a "done deal" just awaiting someone's signature

BUT..

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/224/CAA%20General%20Aviation%20Work%20-%20April-2014.pdf
Dated April 2014

quote:

De-regulation
-
Subject to the successful completion of a Regulatory Impact Assessment, we anticipate being able to
remove from regulatory airworthiness oversight of all single seat microlights up to a maximum takeoff
mass of 300kg.
So does this mean "back to square 1"?

Perhaps Geoff or Paul could set my mind at rest?

fury8
3rd April 2014, 19:25
Hi I have just re-read a few times,,, maybe Im hoping but I am sure the statement is in the positive sense..... Im going to eat my hat otherwise........

Paul Dewhurst
4th April 2014, 02:17
Wally Hayward wrote: As Kirk pointed out in another thread, I too thought "300kg SSDR" was a "done deal" just awaiting someone's signature

BUT..

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/224/CAA%20General%20Aviation%20Work%20-%20April-2014.pdf
Dated April 2014

quote:

De-regulation
-
Subject to the successful completion of a Regulatory Impact Assessment, we anticipate being able to
remove from regulatory airworthiness oversight of all single seat microlights up to a maximum takeoff
mass of 300kg.
So does this mean "back to square 1"?

Perhaps Geoff or Paul could set my mind at rest?
I wouldn't read too much into that. It reflects that there are still a few details to be finished - as we know.CAA not prone to guaranteeing anything to happen - thier lawyers too cautious for that. But it's as much of a done deal as anything I have ever been involved with with CAA. If SSDR's start raining from the sky fatally before the ANO is changed it might just scare the DFT. but just now it has CAA and government backing in a positive way that none of us would have dated to hope of just a year ago..

Paul

Wally Hayward
4th April 2014, 08:17
Thanks Paul
I realise that "the wheels of officialdom doth grind exceeding slow!".......... I guess I am just a grumpy ole pessimist:-(

johnwaite
4th April 2014, 10:25
I just quickly glanced through the CAA document referred to above to see their statement about 300Kg and the following section caught my eye - And some Myth Busters too. Among the gems is the following:

CAA wrote: Aircraft don't have to be re-weighed every 10 years.
Correct; they donít change weight on their own and the myth that microlights require periodic re-weighing is not a CAA requirement. The owner / pilot simply has to ensure the aircraft is operated within its certified weight & balance envelope.
My inspector seemed very sure at my last permit renewal that re-weighing would be required very soon. Is this a BMAA requirement and, if so, why?

Steve Wilson
4th April 2014, 11:16
Weighing is being discussed here John:

http://forums.bmaa.org/default.aspx?f=15&m=133855

johnwaite
4th April 2014, 12:28
Thanks Steve - miss the start of all the best threads when you take a day off. Be nice to see a BMAA reply though.

gweighell
4th April 2014, 19:27
We are actively chasing for a closure on Noise Certification, Routine Weighing and SSDR. I have chased all these several times this week. I believe CAA were at DfT today discussing SSDR. Here's hoping.

Paul Dewhurst
5th April 2014, 00:27
John Waite wrote: I just quickly glanced through the CAA document referred to above to see their statement about 300Kg and the following section caught my eye - And some Myth Busters too. Among the gems is the following:

Aircraft don't have to be re-weighed every 10 years.
Correct; they donít change weight on their own and the myth that microlights require periodic re-weighing is not a CAA requirement. The owner / pilot simply has to ensure the aircraft is operated within its certified weight & balance envelope.
My inspector seemed very sure at my last permit renewal that re-weighing would be required very soon. Is this a BMAA requirement and, if so, why?
Its just CAA not knowing what their own rules are - they made five yearly re weighing mandatory for microlights after they found thruster cheating and sending out aircraft thirty kg over the max allowed. Rather than sort out Thruster who held a CAA approval they decided that all microlight should be weighed every five years so the customer had the problem in their lap, and BMAA inspectors had to do their work for them.

BMAA have had a paper calling for routine re weighing to be scrapped for a year or two now, and as Geoff says have been chasing them for some time.

Same with noise tests and Certs - its silly microlights are obliged by law to be tested and then re tested if you change a prop, when paramotors, gyros and all group A homebuilts don't have to. We also have a paper in for that that needs Dft approval that we have been pushing for some time.

Paul

fury8
18th April 2014, 05:02
Dare we ask.... any news???

Dave Smith
18th April 2014, 09:51
I think Paul mentioned 'early May' in some previous post?
Dave

Wally Hayward
18th April 2014, 10:37
I've not seen "May" mentioned, but Geoff stated the revised CAA target was "a couple of weeks"... earlier in the thread.....

One must remember that the "wheels of Officialdom", in all walks of life, "doth grind exceeding slow" :-)

Dave Smith
20th April 2014, 17:09
And a fortnight for Easter? ;-)
Dave

fury8
21st April 2014, 07:24
I just keep taking the pills! My partner has no concept of time also and spend half my life waiting for her to get ready. Its not as if there are going to be hundreds of top secret designs bursting to get out of garages. although the new limits set a fair and reasonable challenge and Im sure it wont be too long before something interesting appears!

Wally Hayward
21st April 2014, 16:20
CAA official? targets....... November... December... January... April... May..... unfortunately, they do not appear to have actually specified which year:-)

Problem is that for us poor old decrepit antiquities.... being on our last legs awaiting the call by our maker......................

is that with all this procrastination a quite a simple fact rears it's head...........
1. will I ever be able to legally fly one............
(a) before I "kick the bucket" and have to fly up to meet St Peter. or down to "tother guy".................
or
2. if not will they catch me before 1 a above :-)

Happy Easter!!!!!

av1at0r
21st April 2014, 18:16
Can't help but totally agree with you Wally!

Having worked for the government/MoD and can therefore appreciate the necessity to 'get it right' the delay after delay scenario we are now experiencing is in my opinion farcical!

Regards
Angry of South Wales

fury8
21st April 2014, 19:26
Hi Wally, you owe it to yourself to fill your life to the full. Eat the best food, sleep with the finest women but above all else fly while you can...time waits for nobody...You came in this life penniless, make sure you exit with an overdraft!!
For me and I expect for many Flying is a hobby.... SSDR is going to make flying more available and affordable for many..
I spend a fair amount of time in Bulgaria... the CAA there is terrible, rife with corruption and incompetence to the point sport flying in Bulgaria which is popular is self regulating. Disaster you might think... but no quiet.... the opposite, throughout the country you have a strong flying community, scattered workshops manufacturing from suzuki car engine conversions popular on trikes, another carbon fibre propellors, another trikes, another powered chutes. all operating without incident and all without much money. A country that once produced MIG jets starts to fly again through all challenges. A country smaller than Ireland but with over two hundred airfields! From my home I have 5 small active airfields within 30 minutes drive, 300 days of sun....and bears!

Come on CAA arse into gear please!!!

Wally Hayward
22nd April 2014, 08:32
Peter..

Been there.... done that. got multiple "T" shirts.. scars......... warts and all....................massively in debt in spite of winning the "battle" with insurance pension companies, having been paid MUCH more in pension by them than I paid in contributions.........but one glaring omission in your suggestion for a "full life":-)

Living in the land of the "water of life". one must also try to drink all the Distilleries dry... in which I have not yet succeeded...!!

I guess Officialdom always drags it's feet when any form of relaxation of current legislation is contemplated............ increased legislation. easy.......... done "tomorrow"

gweighell
25th April 2014, 15:28
Latest from CAA is they hope to issue the initial exemption, ahead of the ANO change, on May 14, or close to. Part of the cause of delay has been the post-consultation work that revealed previously unconsidered circumstances arising from the first very simple concept. But it is on its way.
Geoff

Wally Hayward
25th April 2014, 16:03
Thanks Geoff
As always it is not a simple concept, as envisaged by us "plebs":-)

Guess I can put off the "shedding off of my mortal soul" a bit longer and delay my visit to Saint Peter............. sorry I meant old Nick.........
Meanwhile I shall continue my valiant, but unsuccessful, attempt to run my multitude of adopted Distilleries dry with even more vigour and single minded perseverance:-)

Thanks again!!

fury8
25th April 2014, 16:46
Thanks Geoff, thats good news!!

Tom
1st May 2014, 10:33
Wally. Have you filed your flight plan already?
;-)

Wally Hayward
1st May 2014, 10:53
Tom
Not yet.... I am still awaiting my Visas..... depends which comes first as to whether I visit "old Nick" or t'other one:-)

I am told that in any case, one does not need to file a flight plan in such circumstances....... one has "automatic rights" to fly through anyone's airspace on such one way visits..... :rofl:

John Riley
5th May 2014, 18:20
I asked the CAA for an exemption so I could fly my AirBike to Popham at its new weight, but I'm still waiting, so didn't go to Popham. They said they didn't see a problem in granting me an exemption, obviously there was.
Getting disgruntled with the whole thing.

Kevin Armstrong
8th May 2014, 09:37
Cautious note:-

The general view among the older, wiser heads around me is that no CAA suits are going to arrest anyone flying to the older rules but a couple of kilos overweight, the main concern being insurance and wriggle-room in an accident. Since an SSDR is highly unlikely to damage anything more than itself and pilot, this is a matter for debate. I am determined to stay fully compliant, legal and insured, but when the legality/compliance lines get too close then some will push the boundaries if dicked around for too long.

With a will it is amazing how fast complex tasks get done, so I'm suspicious that deregulation is counter-culture and the mahogany bomber pilots keep strangling this.

Cheers

fury8
8th May 2014, 18:59
Im off to the land for a few days where they de regulated the whole country!!! hopefully ill post some pictures showing how de reg can work and how keen enthusiastic little aeroplane types can actually get it right... The friendliness usually equates to being invited to stay over,a lovely meal, with too much! home made wine and brandy and then waking up in a strange house maybe with an old woman smacking her chops in the corner which is a bit of a wierd experience! and a few days of your life at least missing!. some how its difficult to say no to these exploits. If you think thats bad try going on a hunting trip, much worse can happen.... Sorry Im rambling on about Bulgaria. Im leaving the rain, cloud and winds behind, donning sun glasses and flying a DAR Solo and explore the mountains.

Something good always comes to those that wait!! The fat lady will sing soon!!!

fury8
14th May 2014, 19:10
Latest from CAA is they hope to issue the initial exemption, ahead of the ANO change, on May 14, or close to. Part of the cause of delay has been the post-consultation work that revealed previously unconsidered circumstances arising from the first very simple concept. But it is on its way.
Geoff

Isnt it the 14th today???

Paul Dewhurst
15th May 2014, 22:05
Final touches being made to the implementation paperwork, information notices etc. latest from CAA is that exemption will be issued very soon, at the latest in time for Aero Expo which is at the end of the month. The CAA GA unit is being launched there and Grant Shaps who has pushed the Red Tape challenge will be in attendance, so they want this one in the bag..

Paul

Dave Smith
16th May 2014, 10:33
Filled in your BMAA membership application yet Kev??
Dave

gweighell
16th May 2014, 18:50
I am certain that it will be before Grant and the Minister stand up at the launch of the GA Unit (again) at AeroExpo.
The BMAA will soon be launching new Permit application paperwork. We may even beat CAA to it :-)

fury8
16th May 2014, 19:42
It would have been nice to have seen aircraft and new examples that had actually flown to the Aero Expo!!!. I am sure there are more than a few waiting the outcome....

Kevin Armstrong
18th May 2014, 08:54
Geoff Weighell wrote: I am certain that it will be before Grant and the Minister stand up at the launch of the GA Unit (again) at AeroExpo.
The BMAA will soon be launching new Permit application paperwork. We may even beat CAA to it :-)
Hello Sir

Forgive my brain cell for struggling, but what is the new permit application paperwork to do with 300kg SSDR?

Cheers

Kev

Paul Dewhurst
18th May 2014, 08:59
Pretty cryptic, but I think its reference to Geoff and staff 'de regulating' the permit renewal paperwork. Pretty radical cut down- out soon...

Paul

av1at0r
23rd May 2014, 20:14
I've read it twice now! I think it was pilot magazine and now the CAA's own magazine Clued Up (Spring/Summer 2014 - page 7 center column) - and I quote:-
"Work already COMPLETED to reduce the regulatory burden includes: A project to deregulate single-seat microlights".
Have I missed something - like an announcement of the rule changes - or will the CAA's new GA unit stop announcing they have completed something UNTIL THEY HAVE?
Regards
Paul Wilkinson

fury8
24th May 2014, 11:50
waited so long now... only another week said Rumplestiltskin!

mikehallam
24th May 2014, 20:07
You do believe in Fairies then -

Rumpelstiltskin (also spelled as Rumplestiltskin) is the antagonist of a fairy tale
that originated in Germany (where he is known as Rumpelstilzchen).

Sugar-plum mike

fury8
24th May 2014, 21:16
Do we have a choice other than to believe in fairies??? your well informed! Just maybe the emperor in his new clothes will announce the new SSDR regime!! next week.... Maybe Cinderella will go the ball and watch the said announcement, it will be much fun and hilarity stood on a box in the mud and rain. I dont think I will be able to contain myself one way or another. I should imagine there will be a few with pent up patience waiting for a release!, maybe a few will actually be seeing fairies!!........

Wally Hayward
25th May 2014, 08:14
I do not believe in fairies.... nor promises made by politicians or their minions..............

"Blessed is he who expecteth nothing..........

for that is exactly what he shall receive":-)

fury8
25th May 2014, 17:15
Just to show life goes on in the SSDR world This is Neno taking a first flight in a DAR Solo today from Belozem Bulgaria

Attached files http://cloudniner.co.uk/images/converted_files/134925=9587-first-flight-solo.jpg (http://cloudniner.co.uk/images/converted_files/134925=9587-first-flight-solo.jpg) http://cloudniner.co.uk/images/converted_files/134925=9588-first-flight-solo2.jpg (http://cloudniner.co.uk/images/converted_files/134925=9588-first-flight-solo2.jpg)

John Riley
30th May 2014, 08:26
At last its arrived, the exemption we have all wanted.
Too late for me to go to Sywell, but at least I can finish my testing now.

Paul Dewhurst
30th May 2014, 22:50
It's never too late to go to Sywell John - we would be pleased to see you anytime..:)

Paul

Nick Axworthy
31st May 2014, 08:38
Nice little aircraft Peter.

John Riley
31st May 2014, 10:27
Thanks for that Paul, I did mean the Expo. I hope to drop in on you in a couple weeks, I'm flying from Little Staughton now so a long flight of about 20 mins.
Looking forward to going to the Enstone bash, hope it happens, did my first training there being towed in a Mirage, with Gerry Breen.