PDA

View Full Version : Puncture repair

Brearley
28th January 2007, 01:40
An amazingly basic question, but I'd be interested to know what people think.

Got a puncture taxying back today. Is patching the inner tube with ordinary Halfords' bicycle repair stuff adequate for a tyre inflated to 30 psi or is it likely to fail on the next heavy landing? The patch seems to be holding up well for the moment but I realise it may not be a long-term proposition...

Cheers

Tom

gingekke
28th January 2007, 09:10
While it should be OK I have always replaced with new asap and carried the patched one as a "get you out of trouble " spare. Tubes are pretty cheap so there didn't seem any reason to take even a small chance.

By the way how do you mask the join in your hub to prevent in nipping to tube :idea:

Anyway I'm glad that you managed to get flying yesterday as well :smilewinkgrin:

Ginge

Nick Axworthy
28th January 2007, 09:35
I have never had a puncture on my aircraft but if I needed to patch the tube I would use a motor cycle repair kit better quality patches/cement, used them on my landrover tubes for years never had a prob just make sure you follow the instructions to the letter.

Nick Axworthy.

bar shaker
30th January 2007, 11:15
I've used bicycle repair kits, with no problems. The patches are as thick as the tube around them.

Tyre Weld can be used for a 'get you home' although the last time i used it, it didn't go down 1 psi for 6 weeks. I then changed the tube.

Check for any debris inside the tyre before re-assembling. With regards to the joint, cut a 1" strip out of an old inner tube and then cut it to be a strip (rather than a circle) and glue it back together to make it slightly shorter than the circumference of the outside of the wheel, so its a tight fight on the wheel hub. This will prevent any 'pinch' punctures.

Finally, always bolt it all back up together with a small amount of air in the inner tube, so as to hold a round shape and ensure it seats correctly.

El Presidente
7th February 2007, 21:00
I don't know about microlight tyres but use that gloop they sell in Halfords in my mountain bike tyres which are at 60 psi and often subjected to some heavy abuse on rough ground. Country lanes after blackthorn hedges have been trimmed are a really good place to get punctures and test puncture seal products (would not recommend it in your average Skyranger though).

The gloop stops rapid deflation and seals the tube with minimal pressure loss.

It may be worth a try, but remember to inspect your tyres regularly for spikes and remove them. Its claimed it can seal a 4 mm dia hole, but I have never experienced anything like that.

Might add a few ounces in weight.

EP

gingekke
8th February 2007, 10:30
I scrounged some of this once when I had a flat away from base. It seemed ok but being a disbeleiving sort when I landed back at Rayne I landed wing down on one main and the tailwheel. Just as well, when I coundn't keep it off the ground any longer it proved to be as flat as a pancake. Luckily I was nearly at a halt by then. A mate of mine had a similar experience with a flat he picked up at Brock Farm in his Shadow at the back end of last year.
I reckon it's best to carry a spare tube
Ginge

Lauriehurman
9th February 2007, 08:23
Like Pete I've used tyre weld to get me home and it worked well. I got a puncture taxying in for a refueling stop at Bourne and a nice man from the GA club drove me to a petrol station where I bought an aerosol.

But ...

We must recognise that our plane wheels spend very little of their life actualy turning. I think the green goo stuff relies on the wheel turning to continualy cote the inside of the tube - and it's quite heavy.

Laurie (2)

bar shaker
9th February 2007, 16:28
Laurie

I think the two products are quite different.

Tyre Weld is a PVA glue that sets when exposed to air. The instructions say to drive at 30mph for 20 mins or so, after inflating with the can but I have not done this on my Q when I have used it. Also, to make sure the puncture is on the bottom when filling the flat tyre. I think this is the most critical bit. If you look inside a tube that has been filled with it, there is a soft layer of clear PVA approx 1mm thick over the outermost surface. A small amount will have bled through the puncture site too.

The puncture prevention products stay liquid in the tyre/tube. I don't know how they work, but would assume they react with he rubber forming the seal and will have created a coating immediately after installation with surplus in the tyre ready to react with any rubber exposed by a puncture. One such product is Ultra Seal, which many bikers use. Ultraseal's website (http://www.ultraseal.biz/pages/testimonials.htm#Better%20Business%20Bureau)

I think there is definite merit in using something like Ultraseal.

El Presidente
9th February 2007, 22:44
One product I have used (only on me bike) is a tube repair kit and one of those CO2 inflators. The patch is still holding about 1 year on. The CO2 cartridge inflates a tyre in about 0.5 seconds and you don't need a pump. However on saying that I bought a kit that combines a hand pump with a CO2 inflator.
Cost about 20 from any bike shop and will fit in a shirt pocket.

EP

Nick Axworthy
10th February 2007, 12:29
I like the idea of the co2 puncture kit sounds light enough to carry in the aircraft must check that out, I have thought about carrying a bike pump those small double acting ones are good but were does it end, how common are punctures and without the correct tools with me if I were away from base I would not be able to get a rear wheel off my trike to patch the tube, suppose I could pull the tube part way out with the wheel off the ground.

Nick Axworthy.