PDA

View Full Version : Wing Area

Kevin Armstrong
15th March 2010, 11:11
Just been tinkering in CAD to determine the ideal wing shape for a trike, rigid wing weightshift or hybrid SSDR

The end result is remarkably Chaser-like, and it makes you wonder if the good old Chaser wing could be modified with trailing edge extensions or similar to boost the area to 11.5m

The Chaser wing is only a shade over 30 kilos, and other wings such as the Trya are much heavier at 40 or so, unless the P&M Ace Aviation Cyclone is close to this in which case you wouldn't bother.

Don't know if the file is any use to a prospective delta designer, but herre it is anyway

Cheers

Kev

Attached files wing-area-layout1-1.pdf (http://cloudniner.co.uk/images/converted_files/76444=5858-wing-area-layout1-1.pdf) (28.8 KB) http://cloudniner.co.uk/images/converted_files/76444=5859-wing-area.jpg (http://cloudniner.co.uk/images/converted_files/76444=5859-wing-area.jpg)

Bob Hood
15th March 2010, 12:15
Kev,

I don't know if it may have any bearing on this, but along with the Chaser, Aerial Arts also made the 110SX and the 130SX. I believe (but don't know) that the 110 and 130 referred to the size in sqmtrs, so the 110SX would be 11sqmtrs and the 130 would be 13sqmtrs. I would guess that there may still be some 110SX wings and 130SX wings hanging about in the back of a few sheds and hangars somewhere, so it might be possible to come up with a ready made wing, albeit a bit slower than the 10sqmtr Chaser. Indeed, under the guise of SSDR it might even be possible to redesign the shape to reduce the 130 to exactly 11.5sqmtrs and get a good sail loft to recut it for you. The resulting wing would be under your authority, not the original maker's, so any sail loft could do the work for you, and you might just end up with a wing that is the envy of everyone around.

So start looking for details of the wing plan and tube sizes of the 110 and 130SX wings and see what comes up.

Best regards,

Bob Hood
15th March 2010, 12:21
Kev,

I have just been rooting around and found out that the 130 in 130SX referred to the wing area in sq ft. So converted to sqmtrs it is 12sqmtrs. This means you could lop off 5sqft to bring it down to 125sqft, which equates to 11.6sqmtrs. Perhaps this is the way to go?

Best regards,

Bob Hood
15th March 2010, 12:27
Kev,

The other thing you could do is look up the various hang glider wings to see what is comparable, then talk to Ian Grayland who modified his Clubman hangglider wing to become the 130SX. He would know what to do in order to beef up a hangglider wing chassis to take the extra weight of a trike, and I bet it would still be lighter than most other trike wings of comparable size.

Best regards,

Bob Hood
15th March 2010, 13:07
Kev,

According to this website http://www.flychaps.f9.co.uk/pre%20owned.htm As of 17th December 2009 you could buy a Clubman 140 wing for 295. You would then need to talk to Ian Grayland about modifying it to bring it down in size and up in strength to match the 130 wing, but I am sure it is doable for not a lot of money.

Best regards,

Paul Dewhurst
15th March 2010, 16:42
I owned a 130sx and a fine beast it was too. However I dont think its what Kev is looking for - floats along at 40-45 trim.

Loping bits off is not so easy eiethr and for just .5M I would question strongly 'why' - it wont in itself provide any more speed, and may possibly mess up its span laoding, twist, effciency, handling, load distribution and strength.

Nigle Beale already has a few ways to increase 'countable' wing area for the Chaser Kev - and is even flying a dereg chaser with a heavy 508 lump on it.

Paul

Dave Smith
15th March 2010, 16:55
As Paul says, the 130SX is significantly slower. I know where the is (at least, was) one if anyone's interested.
I'd prefer a scaled down Raven. Any offers??
Dave

Kevin Armstrong
18th March 2010, 09:16
Paul Dewhurst wrote:
I owned a 130sx and a fine beast it was too. However I dont think its what Kev is looking for - floats along at 40-45 trim.

Loping bits off is not so easy eiethr and for just .5M I would question strongly 'why' - it wont in itself provide any more speed, and may possibly mess up its span laoding, twist, effciency, handling, load distribution and strength.

Nigle Beale already has a few ways to increase 'countable' wing area for the Chaser Kev - and is even flying a dereg chaser with a heavy 508 lump on it.

PaulNigel Beale just called; he's got a complete Aerial Arts 130 in the shed, motor off but with it, he wants 500; anyone?

Kev

Bob Hood
18th March 2010, 11:00
Kev,

Tell him to post it up on AFORS and it will be gone by tomorrow.