RSS BMAA on FaceBook BMAA on Twitter HomeLog InRegisterSearch the ForumHelp

BMAA Forum > Public Forums > Microlight General Chat > What integrated helmet/headset to buy?  Forum Quick Jump

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
39 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Minica Belemet
Never afraid to speak his mind

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Minica BelemetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2006
Total Posts : 211

Posted 19/12/2010 4:32 PM (GMT +1)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thank you. Will decide next couple of days. But I am listening to any suggestions.

Dave Smith
No comment.

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Dave SmithAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2005
Total Posts : 2960

Posted 20/12/2010 12:03 PM (GMT +1)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I may be wrong, but ANR and noise cancelling microphones always used to be completely separate functions and nothing to do with one another.

The ANR headphone function uses a mic in the earshell to detect noise bleeding in and creating an exact duplicate in opposite phase to add to and therefore cancel it from the required audio coming from intercom or radio receive. This is only capable of working on the lower end of the audio spectrum, so good passive insulation is still required (heavy cup with absorbent foam) for the higher end of the spectrum (where passive works best).

In the microphone, it's simply the mechanical construction of the mic, who's diaphragm is open on both sides, so ambient noise hits both sides equally and cancels. The mouth is very close to one side only, so affects that side more than the other and gives an output. So-called 'velocity' operated, rather than 'pressure'.

I used to make such mic modules, before they came easily available, by purchasing Maplins typical omni-directional electret jobbies and drilling a couple of holes in the rear face, next to the solder connections...

Dave

Stuart Garner
Trains, boats and now planes

Click to send Stuart Garner email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Stuart GarnerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2006
Total Posts : 46

Posted 20/12/2010 12:25 PM (GMT +1)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I too would recommend Microavonics products (and I must add that I have no experience of Flycom for comparison). They are well made and reliable - however, if you should have a problem, Eddie Cartwright (the prioprietor) is very helpful and offers a no quibble guarantee. Added to that he is a microlight pilot! I suggest you talk to Eddie and discuss your requirements with him - I'm sure he will try to find a way of trying the product out before you buy.
Stuart

Minica Belemet

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Minica BelemetAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2006

Posted 20/12/2010 7:02 PM (GMT +1)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
What about these ones? Anybody knows anything? They look very sexy...but are they good?

http://shop.flybubble.co.uk/icaro-rollbar

Eddie Cartwright
A bit on the mouthy side

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Eddie CartwrightAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2009
Total Posts : 52

Posted 22/12/2010 1:21 AM (GMT +1)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hello all, Eddie here from MicroAvionics.

Andy has given quite a good review of the UL200 electronics within the Integral helmet. To confirm the ANR (active noise reduction) reduces low frequency noise within the ear defender compared to non ANR headsets. Non ANR headsets are what we call Passive headsets, some refer them as PNR headsets (passive noise reduction). Passive noise reduction is relying on the ear defender to limit the noise entering the ear, where as ANR has the advantage of using electronics to lower the noise within the eardefender even further. In the UL200 headset this is done by the way of a microphone inside the earcup. This microphone listens to any noise that is not speech and in technical terms plays the same noise through the speakers but in 180d out of phase. In simpler terms, the system plays positive noise at negative noise and thus reduces the unwanted noise from entering your ear..... I hope that's not too confusing.

As Andy mentioned, the UL200 also has the added feature of VOX. This mutes the microphone when you are not speaking. This has a huge advantage, I list some benefits below:
Unwanted noise to your ears is reduced.
Radio receptions can be heard even clearer, especially if they are very weak radio reception.
If you listen to music, then you only hear music, not music and unwanted amplified noise.

MicroAvionics are happy to offer a money back guarantee to people if this helps. Just speak to us if you need this guarantee.

Regards,
Eddie Cartwright
MicroAvionics UK Ltd :-) :-) :-) :-)

Minica Belemet

Date Joined Nov 2006

Posted 28/12/2010 2:09 PM (GMT +1)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
HI Eddie!

Got your message. Will think it over and get back to you later.
Thanks
Minica

David Power

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to David PowerAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2007
Total Posts : 289

Posted 3/1/2011 7:15 PM (GMT +1)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Minica,
I have a UL200 helmet with vox, and a UL200 headset with vox. Once set up in flight it cuts the noise right down. I would recommend Microavionics.
I bought one of their wireless PTT's at the show, it works a treat. I have no experience of flycom stuff, but I think its good stuff too.

Eddie,
Just charging my headsets up, but not sure how long to keep them on charge for.
Dai

Minica Belemet

Date Joined Nov 2006

Posted 3/1/2011 8:27 PM (GMT +1)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi guys!

Thank you for all your input. I have put an order with Flycom as they gave me a goodish... deal. Not jumping up with joy yet, as I have to see if the £900 spent are worth it. Wife doesn't know yet. Expecting bad weather on family front, but hey, it was Christmas! We all deserve a present.

Minica

John Moore (1595)
Reptiles kick ass :-)

Click to send John Moore (1595) email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to John Moore (1595)AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableClick to Add cyberstitch@hotmail.com to your MSN Buddy List.
Date Joined Dec 2006
Total Posts : 1892

Posted 10/1/2011 10:16 AM (GMT +1)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have used Flycom - their services are excellent and it sounds like you got a better deal than I was offered at the NEC so well done for that.

In fact I thought the offer to me was stingy enough for me to keep hold of my money in favour of using Lynx and Icom.

BJ

BJ

Graham Jefferies (GeeJay)
Fed up with rsoles on the forum

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Graham Jefferies (GeeJay)AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2007
Total Posts : 1324

Posted 12/1/2011 6:46 PM (GMT +1)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
a few extra posts there John, or have you eaten something that's repeating on you?

Graham Jefferies
BMAA member no: 6885.

Mike Cowlishaw
Learning how to flexwing

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Mike Cowlishaw's website.Send a Private Message to Mike CowlishawAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jun 2008
Total Posts : 2262

Posted 25/2/2011 5:11 PM (GMT +1)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Curious to hear what Minica thought about his Xmas pressie after trying it/them?

(Also, are helmets really necessary, or is the main benefit protection from the wind, etc.?)

Mike

Bob Hood BMAA 3300
Someone shut this guy up!

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Bob Hood  BMAA 3300AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2006
Total Posts : 1030

Posted 25/2/2011 5:29 PM (GMT +1)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Mike,

Helmets aren't a legal requirement as far as I know for flexwing flight, but as you say they come in useful for protection from the wind, rain, cold, etc, and in the event of an accident they would help prevent injury.

Best regards,

Bob Hood

XL's forever! Well, one of them anyway. It's all I can afford, oh, and my Q of course!! :-)

Kev Armstrong
Uncultured Northern Oik

Click to send Kev Armstrong email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Kev ArmstrongAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2005
Total Posts : 4281

Posted 25/2/2011 5:36 PM (GMT +1)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Just ordered Flycom single seater radio interface and headset, neat trick is the noise cancelling mike is run off the radio's battery instead of requiring a separate 12v supply.

Got a massive bonce and struggle to find helmets to fit; this means using universal Communica helmet and using separate headset. However when Paul Leigh kindly offered a spin last year, he insisted on trying his Flycom integrated helmet, and to my vast surprise it slid on perfectly, and for a change didn't leave a ruddy great pressure mark or headache after a fairly long flight.

Sorry about the gender mix up Minica, especially galling for a flexwing pilot..;-)

Cheers

Kev

"The young man knows the rules but the old man knows the exceptions”...Oliver Wendell Holmes

Minica Belemet

Date Joined Nov 2006

Posted 25/2/2011 7:35 PM (GMT +1)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Used very little mines, but I am very happy with them.
Will keep you all informed how it goes.

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
39 posts in this thread.
Viewing Page :
 1  2 

Forum Information
Currently it is Saturday, July 26, 2014 10:07 AM (GMT +1)
There are a total of 114,011 posts in 9,974 threads.
In the last 3 days there were 7 new threads and 65 reply posts.
Who's Online
This forum has 2677 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, ghostflyer.
27 Guest(s), 3 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
Paul Eastlake, Dave Smith, Graham T Webster