RSS BMAA on FaceBook BMAA on Twitter HomeLog InRegisterSearch the ForumHelp

BMAA Forum > Public Forums > Single-Seat Deregulated > Soviet ultralight designs  Forum Quick Jump

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Paul Dewhurst

Click to send Paul Dewhurst email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Paul DewhurstAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2006

Posted 7/2/2011 8:20 PM (GMT +1)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Stumbled across this  http://easyultralightdesign.com/index.php

Lots of interesting designs and lots of detailed three views.

I particularly liked the X14, and the crystal. Laughed at some of the naming - the 'argument' and the shmel!

Enjoy!

Paul

Post Edited (Paul Dewhurst) : 08/02/2011 18:49:08 GMT

Gary Taylor BMAA 1325
livin' the dream...

Email Address Not AvailableClick to visit Gary Taylor BMAA 1325's website.Send a Private Message to Gary Taylor BMAA 1325AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2006
Total Posts : 692

Posted 8/2/2011 7:04 PM (GMT +1)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If someone will build me an X-14 I'll fly it! What a fantastic, minimalist design.

regards

Gary T

BMAA 1325

“The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly.” Friedrich Nietzsche

Personal Website: www.microlightgary.byethost33.com/

My Blog - Learning Aerobatics: microlightgary-learningaerobatics.blogspot.com/

Laurie Hurman
Someone shut this guy up!

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Laurie HurmanAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2006
Total Posts : 843

Posted 9/2/2011 9:51 AM (GMT +1)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well then you're braver than me -
42 hp engine, 80mph top speed and 45 Kg empty weight - yea right :-)

Kirk Sutton

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Kirk SuttonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2009
Total Posts : 871

Posted 9/2/2011 12:10 PM (GMT +1)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
And the X14 is not entirely original in design or concept - there is/was a US Army fold-up aircraft of exactly the same layout and size (right down to flat twin engine and forward sweep on the wings to accomodate the CofG) developed and tested in the late 50's early 60's. I'll dig out the designer and articles at home - plus there is one sitting in a museum in Vietnam (Hanoi I seem to recall) dating from that time. The design when abandoned by the US millitary was available as unclassified (hence the machine in the museum - and the fact it is in Vietnam also hints at where it was tested).

Sorry but my memory for instant recall of all the odd-ball machines I have read about and kept clips of is not what it used to be :-(

Kirk Sutton

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Kirk SuttonAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Mar 2009

Posted 9/2/2011 10:10 PM (GMT +1)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
OK X14d is quite different from the US miltary one.
see attached pdfs for photos, drawings and some translations.
Must say the complexity of the wing in it (triple slotted flaps and linked slots) is a bit beyond me.
Image Attachment :
Image Preview
X-14 Overhead.jpg
  23KB (image/jpeg)
This image has been viewed 1504 time(s).

File Attachment :
X-14Translation.pdf   920KB (application/pdf)
This file has been downloaded 782 time(s).

File Attachment :
Dmitriev.pdf   176KB (application/pdf)
This file has been downloaded 867 time(s).

Kirk Sutton

Date Joined Mar 2009

Posted 10/2/2011 5:28 PM (GMT +1)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Similar in basic layout and concept to the X-14d was the earlier PDQ.

The PDQ and PDQ-2 pre-dated the X-14 as they came from the 1970's and were a much more reasonable approach to a minimum aircraft than the X-14d in terms of size and complexity but had a similar concept of a flying seat.

It was designed by Wayne Ison - he of later MiniMax fame - around the idea of simple and low cost flying seat with the engine pushing above the pilot.

It never really got off the ground as a plans build and Ison and TEAM never attempted to lighten it to true microlight weight or produce it.

PDQ Specifications
Wing Span 18' 6"
wing area 64.75
Length 14' 6"
Empty Weight 350 lbs (with VW)
Gross weight 600 lbs
Max speed 80 MPH
Cruise speed 60-70 MPH
Stall speed 45 MPH
Engine 1385cc VW
Seats 1
PDQ-2 had increased span of 20' 6" but the rest remained the same

Image Attachment :
Image Preview
pdq2.gif
  132KB (image/gif)
This image has been viewed 1174 time(s).

Paul Dewhurst

Click to send Paul Dewhurst email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Paul DewhurstAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Sep 2006

Posted 11/2/2011 5:33 PM (GMT +1)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Good stuff Kirk. I googled for info on it and drew a blank, so your posting came as a pleasant surprise.

It's really like a very tiny quicksilver in a way, with a hugely complex wing. Even with the slats and multi slotted flaps It's hard to believe that with a 1.76m wing carrying around 150kg of plane and payload giving 85kg/m wing loading that the stall speed could be 55kmh That would need a Clmax of over 5.5!

Just under 4m of plain flapped wing ought to do the trick and bring it in at just under 35 knots stall though - but that's assuming the same 150kg flying weight!

Looks like there was a bit of activity making varients with the aim of production ten years or so ago - I wonder how far they got?

Paul

Kirk Sutton

Date Joined Mar 2009

Posted 11/2/2011 9:29 PM (GMT +1)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Paul Dewhurst said...
Good stuff Kirk. I googled for info on it and drew a blank, so your posting came as a pleasant surprise.

It's really like a very tiny quicksilver in a way, with a hugely complex wing. Even with the slats and multi slotted flaps It's hard to believe that with a 1.76m wing carrying around 150kg of plane and payload giving 85kg/m wing loading that the stall speed could be 55kmh That would need a Clmax of over 5.5!

Just under 4m of plain flapped wing ought to do the trick and bring it in at just under 35 knots stall though - but that's assuming the same 150kg flying weight!

Looks like there was a bit of activity making varients with the aim of production ten years or so ago - I wonder how far they got?

Paul

How far they got was the x-14d! He sold the production rights to the design to someone who really should have known better (not me) and he found it completely impossible to turn into a manufactured product without starting from scratch. Like many one offs they remain one offs because the happy builder is not thinking about production issues or costs - delightful homebuilds can be a nightmare to mass produce (though you would known that one)

And the claimed 42hp is completely wrong, it was only 330cc velemet so it was in exactly the same bracket as my italian KFM107 or the English WAE342 ... the former in maxiER form with redrive gives about 30hp and drags my fat butt into the air with nearly 11m^2 of nice thick wing while the WAE342 in direct drive is between 22-26hp only.

There is also doubt that the x-14d ever flew - it was known to have flown hops along the beach (see photos) but I have not seen evidence of it flying - and the guy who bought the rights also has no evidence.

The Ison design PDQ did fly and several were built - plans for it can still be had second hand through various US ultralight codgers like me who squirrel away aircraft plans smilewinkgrin

Ian White
Never afraid to speak his mind

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Ian WhiteAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Nov 2010
Total Posts : 142

Posted 12/2/2011 10:21 AM (GMT +1)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Kirk, what machine is your KFM107 in? I used to own one in a Moni 13 years ago.

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version

Forum Information
Currently it is Tuesday, September 30, 2014 8:51 PM (GMT +1)
There are a total of 115,203 posts in 10,105 threads.
In the last 3 days there were 5 new threads and 55 reply posts.
Who's Online
This forum has 2738 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, Grahamc77.
26 Guest(s), 0 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details