RSS BMAA on FaceBook BMAA on Twitter HomeLog InRegisterSearch the ForumHelp

BMAA Forum > Public Forums > Technical Questions and Answers > Icom radio inteference help  Forum Quick Jump

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Chris Hayle
Clearly, has opinions

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Chris HayleAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2007
Total Posts : 49

Posted 25/11/2007 1:34 PM (GMT 0)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi,

Any suggestions/help on how to cure this radio interference.

I have an Icom A22E in a Quik with power interface connected to the aircraft antenna. With the squelch turned down and ANL turned on I still get intermittent interference.

Using the radios' own rubber antenna I do not get this problem.

I have attempted to re-route the aircraft antenna and this has worked to degree.

Any help appreciated.

Chris Hayle

G-PEAR QUIK 912S

Bob Hood BMAA 3300
Someone shut this guy up!

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Bob Hood  BMAA 3300AIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2006
Total Posts : 1092

Posted 25/11/2007 2:37 PM (GMT 0)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Chris,

You definitely shouldn't get worse reception on your aircraft aerial than on the rubber duck, but without knowing the particulars of your set up my guess is that the earth connection of your aerial is not working correctly. I take it you have a proper base plate for the aerial to use as its earth, and that both wires are connected properly at both ends, and that there are no breaks in either wire inside the plastic insulation?

Whereabouts do you have your aerial mounted? I have had one aircraft with the aerial on the kingpost, and another with the aerial on the pod. From what I have been told, the aerial on the kingpost gave better transmissions, but I find the one on the pod gives less interference on reception. I can't think of any other sensible place you could put the aerial on a flexwing, although I have seen one with the aerial underneath the pod, and bent backwards from about 3" out.

Best regards,

Bob Hood.

XL's forever! Both of them. They're all I can afford, oh, and my Q of course!! :-)

Chris Hayle
Clearly, has opinions

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Chris HayleAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2007
Total Posts : 49

Posted 6/12/2007 7:19 PM (GMT 0)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.

Thankyou both very much for the reply, (sorry for the delay).

The aircraft is a brand new Quik...aerial mounted infront of the windscreen. I do have the flydat installed which I understand can cause issues. I have now routed the cabling down the LHS of the aircraft as far away from any cause of potential interference....

......it appears to be ok on the ground....so fingers crossed. Back to the drawing board if it isn't.

Thanks again...:-)

Chris

G-PEAR QUIK 912S

Andy Fell
40something wobblewing driver

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Andy FellAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableClick to Add andy_fell@bigfoot.com to your MSN Buddy List.
Date Joined Dec 2006
Total Posts : 3052

Posted 6/12/2007 9:40 PM (GMT 0)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Best way to improve nose pod antenna.. go to tesco.. buy a cheap large meat pie.. throw away the pie (or give it to the dog - wouldnt recommend eating those pies!), use the foil tray as a ground plane where you would normally stick the tape...

works really well.

... Also, can help if you ground the antenna to one of the bolts on the trike keel. (But not always, depending if you have any ground noise coming from somewhere)

sounds like you could have a poorly "matched" aerial andor your ground plane is poor.

Andy

Post Edited (Andy Fell) : 06/12/2007 21:51:09 GMT

Andy Fell

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Andy FellAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableClick to Add andy_fell@bigfoot.com to your MSN Buddy List.
Date Joined Dec 2006

Posted 6/12/2007 9:59 PM (GMT 0)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yes, thankyou Jeremy, Im glad to have spent 15 years as a radio design engineer for you to tell me that ;-)

Just kiddin!

Andy

Andy Fell

Date Joined Dec 2006

Posted 6/12/2007 10:16 PM (GMT 0)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
don't worry, I was just pulling yer plonker :-)

Heard of this new technology for GSM phone use on commercial aircraft? sorry it's our fault...designed the RF management unit personally! I tell people this and they just want to punch me.. who the hell wants some idiot using a phone next to them on a plane? Well, quite a few apparently... and soon people won't be able to live without it :-)

So, certification and type approval.. I've been there too.. for consumer, industrial and avionics.. got the headache, the tee-shirt, and the 2am at work head scratching over some damn EMC emissions problem.

Andy

Andy Fell

Date Joined Dec 2006

Posted 6/12/2007 10:31 PM (GMT 0)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
If you used that thing in the UK, vodafone would rip out yer heart and eat it for breakfast! (edit: if they caught you of course :-) )

I assure you the one we designed for aeromobile (http://www.aeromobile.net/) is much much more complex that than.. fully configurable for any worldwide GSM/UMTS/PCS/DCS band going, controlled by software with the ability to put notches in the RF spectrum where the onboard PCS basestation sits. Blocks phones talking to ground stations via feeder antennas just above overhead lockers. Quite a smart bit of kit really, the Aussies have been using it for a while now and it's proving very popular...

Other than that of course, bound by NDA and confidentially.. as much as like to bore the **** out of people with it :-)

Andy

Post Edited (Andy Fell) : 06/12/2007 22:42:15 GMT

Andy Fell

Date Joined Dec 2006

Posted 6/12/2007 10:49 PM (GMT 0)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Back on topic. Who knows of a really neat little blind grommet to plug the antenna hole on the nose pod to neaten it up? I prefer the performance of a king post jobby.. the pod would look so much nicer without that essex boy XR3i coathanger sticking out the front of it!

Andy

Post Edited (Andy Fell) : 06/12/2007 23:03:49 GMT

Steve Taft
Never afraid to speak his mind

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Steve TaftAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Dec 2006
Total Posts : 257

Posted 14/12/2007 6:09 AM (GMT 0)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Chris,

It is worth asking whether you have any GPS, Mobile Phone or PDA items mounted in the cockpit. I have had problems with a GPS 111 Pilot and a Garmin 196. If I use the Lynx antenna mounted on the pod, Mainair Blade, I get interference from both when in close proximity to the antenna; the GPS 111 is OK when in the cockpit but the 196 continues to interfere until at least a meter away from the aerial. If I use the standard Icom antenna, I assume lower gain, distance reduces.

I have managed to get hold of a new Airzone Penetrator to try up on the king post and I am also considering a under pod mount as an option. An aquaintance of mine has the standard Icom rubber aerial mounted under his trike, albeit correctly ground planed, which produces very good quality transmissions with excellent clarity. I guess his range tx/rx may be limited compared to a higher gain antenna.

I have been trying both an A3 and A6, for test purposes only obviously, with similar results and would welcome some comment from the wise among you concerning the under pod mounting versus the king post options and whether anyone has had similar problems with the Garmin 296?

Steve 

gian marco
A bit on the mouthy side

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to gian marcoAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2006
Total Posts : 87

Posted 14/12/2007 10:21 AM (GMT 0)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
i have interferences problem with my fixed-handheld (handheld ICOM is panel mounted and with external antenna and the frame of the airplane as groudn plane :-))

the reality is that these handsets are designed to be used with the short, crappy rubber antenna, and connecting a better one will make the handheld receive every sort of disturbs and noise. they are supersensitive. everythime i fly close to some sort of tv or radio broadcasting station i get a lot of noise i cant squelch.

so im afraid the only solution is to use the rubber antenna, or use some sort of attenuator, or just go for a proper panel mount radio.

why i installed a handheld? cuz funky italian regulations make a criminal offence to install a radio station on an airplane without license, and because we are not airplanes, we cannot have the license.
however, a handheld will only bring a fine...

Paul Lintott

Click to send Paul Lintott email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Paul LintottAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2008
Total Posts : 187

Posted 6/1/2008 10:12 AM (GMT 0)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Quiks antennas

In South Africa all Quiks are fitted by the importer with a locally made Vee dipole half way up the King Post, he dumps the factory unit. It fixes all the problems stated above relating to Flydats, GPS and other antenna related problems.

Paul

Paul Lintott

Click to send Paul Lintott email.Personal Homepage Not AvailableSend a Private Message to Paul LintottAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jan 2008
Total Posts : 187

Posted 6/1/2008 1:28 PM (GMT 0)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Jeremy, Totally correct...With respect to the Vee dipole sold on the SA distributed Quiks, I know the importer well, I dont think that he has bothered showing PandM the antenna in question as he didnt see an issue with the installation.

What I do know is that there are many hundreds of them flying around South Africa on other aircraft and trikes !! No problems at all.

It seems that the design was inspired by the release of the Garmin GPS 196/296 series as they interfere precisely with the SA general radio frequency 124,8mhz and it created total havoc and rendered many aeries unflyable with the GPS on. It was only then discovered that the Flydat and other instruments created the same havoc !! but really not to the same levels. The design was a result of many peoples contributions and efforts.

Its a shame that you have so many rules and require a mod approval, must be serious paperwork !!

Safe flying

Paul

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version

Forum Information
Currently it is Friday, December 19, 2014 11:54 AM
There are a total of 116,784 posts in 10,323 threads.
In the last 3 days there were 1 new threads and 92 reply posts.
Who's Online
This forum has 2786 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, bazaldog.
27 Guest(s), 0 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details