Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heavy (ish) landing

not real name 100 Club

Heavy (ish) landing

Hi,
    I managed to land on the left rear wheel early last week. This caused the left suspension to compress more or less its full travel (no damage to the aerodynamic fairing). It also caused the engine to rock to the left on it's engine mounts. The result was a chunk sliced out of the top of the left spat by the prop! No damage to the prop or any other part of the structure (everything checked, more than once!) but a fair bit of bodge tape required pending a proper fibreglass repair in the off season. Is this a common occurance on Blades (the prop striking the spat, not the heavy, one wheeled landing!)? I would have thought the design wouldn't permit this to happen but it did!

Interested to know what others have experienced.

Cheers.

Ian

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Heavy (ish) landing

What engine Ian?, as you say you would not think it possible.

Nick.

not real name 500 Club

Heavy (ish) landing

I recently repaired and repainted a spat from a 582 Kiss 400 that had done a very similar thing, but he smashed his prop as well.

I also, like you, thought this was not supposed to happen. Clearly it does.

regards
    Mark

Heavy (ish) landing

Pat and Mick aviation assure us that this is just not possible ........ but it is. Have seen it on 2 different aircraft (582 and 462 blades) and heard reports from a neighbouring field. However, aircraft and persons all undamaged save for a spat and some dented pride. Plenty of flexibility in a Blade then!

not real name 100 Club

Heavy (ish) landing

It's a Blade 582. Apparently it's quite a common occurance. I couldn't see how it could happen when it was sat on the ground as there's 5" clearance. I'm well impressed with her in flight, but as an engineer I'd have thought it would be relatively easy to desgn the geometry of the landing gear to avoid this. I think there's another version Mainair flex-wing of a very similar design that doesn't have the bigger 582 engine or the shock absorbers (kind of glad they were there though!!). I wonder if that came first and as it doesn't have a suspension wouldn't be succeptible to this.

Heavy (ish) landing

The top tube of the seat frame on Blades and Flashes tends to migrate with time (and/or punishment) out of centre, resulting in props biting the left (2-strokes) or right (912s) spat, and a tendency for a corresponding turn, hands off. Always check for symmetry as part of your pre-flight.
    Dave

not real name 100 Club

Heavy (ish) landing

Dave,
    You might be onto something there. What's the answer? Is it a matter of loosening the attachment bolts, re-aligning and tightening back up?
    Cheers.
    Ian

Heavy (ish) landing

Correct.
    I'm surprised this problem isn't better known.
    I only discovered it during a casual conversation with Brian Palfreyman, based at Watnall, Notts - thanks Brian...

Dave

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Heavy (ish) landing

Out of curiosity Dave why does the seat frame moving cause such a problem....not doubting but I can't get my head around it.

Nick.

Heavy (ish) landing

The seatframe stays where it is. The monopole (with its engine attached) moves!
    Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast