Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heavy (ish) landing

not real name 500 Club

Heavy (ish) landing

Dave Smith wrote: The seatframe stays where it is. The monopole (with its engine attached) moves!
    Dave
    What!! :freaked: I don't like the sound of that. Something to check from now on then...

What I've never liked about the Alpha (I don't know if the Blade is the same) is the lack of clearance between prop and rear control wires when the bar is at the strut. Another inch and they're cut.

David.

Heavy (ish) landing

Interesting thread, as a consequence I have just marked my monopole with a permanent marker top and bottom of the bracket to check for any mygration pre/post flight.

Regards Steve

not real name 100 Club

Heavy (ish) landing

I think it's the brackets where the seat frame attaches to the monopole that need to be marked. It's the seat frame (or monopole and bracket) that move in relation to each other. I've also marked the seat frame top and bottom to check on the relative alignment.

not real name 100 Club

Heavy (ish) landing

In actual fact the Aerotrack suspension arm had "curled" in at the top where a bearing washer pushes on it at the bottom of the spring. That meant a trip to P&M. The chap there also said this was a common occurance. If it hasn't been shaved before they can trim 5mm off each arm and everything is fine. That's what they did with my aircraft.

I think it's the brackets where the seat frame attaches to the monopole that need to be marked. It's the seat frame (or monopole and bracket) that move in relation to each other. I've also marked the seat frame top and bottom to check on the relative alignment.

Heavy (ish) landing

I may be a bit late on this one but here goes....my first flyer(a flash 2 alpha) was similar to the blade layout.When I bought it (@500 hours) it had a new permit and new seat frame.However the seat frame always slid to the one side,I marked it but it still slid back.I ripped the thing apart and the two alloy triangles that connect the lower frame tube (keel) to the main upright tube pylon (the part that pivots when you de-rig) were bent in an s shape.Changed these and the seat frame never moved.All that force of a heavy one wheel landing not only gets transferred to the engine but also via the heavy wing to those triangle plates.Probably a good job 'cos its easier and cheaper to fix them than the pylon!

Heavy (ish) landing

Fitting jubilee clips on the seat frame on the outside of the mounts stops them moving...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12