Thread: VJ23 by David Cook

VJ23 by David Cook

Is anybody knows about this machine? Any rules apllied? Anything about plans? Any regulations differ for flying to hang gliders or paramotors?

VJ-23 video

Diamond geezer Banned500 Club

VJ23 by David Cook

The best source of information on this aircraft is probably David Cooks own book " Flying From My Mind". It did start life as a hanglider and was very successful and he did indeed cross the English Channel with it becoming the first microlight to do so.
    It was built from plans by the American Volmer Jenson as was it's successor the VJ24 (now displayed at the Newark Air Museum). He displayed it at Old Warden shortly after the crossing which is where I first saw it and the aircraft was displayed there for a while afterwards.
    This was before regulation became applied to the growing microlight movement, but now due the regulation being amended I believe it has become unregulated in the foot launched category

Ginge

VJ23 by David Cook

Ginge Sunley wrote: David Cooks own book " Flying From My Mind"

Ginge
    Here is this book http://www.amazon.co.uk/Flying-Mind-.../dp/1844155889. Thanks

Diamond geezer 500 Club

VJ23 by David Cook

And here's a picture of the remnants of it at Newark (with the typically distracting museum background -- sorry).

(Edited: and rotated, too .. looks fine on my computer -- more apologies.)

Mike

Attached files

not real name 500 Club

VJ23 by David Cook

That's a great news item from 1979. "And tell us about the controls..."

These days he'd be lucky to get a 10 second slot and someone asking "Is it dangerous?". Seeing old clips like that makes you realise how dumbed down the news media is these days.

Diamond geezer Banned500 Club

VJ23 by David Cook

I think that was the old "about Anglia" team.

They also did the only coverage that I was aware of showing Eve Jacksons first microlight flight to Australia with film of her picking up her nice new B series Shadow including an interview with her and if memory serves another with David Cook. That was followed up by another film of her departure and the occasional report on her progress.

All this with presenters that didn't feel the need to bounce around as if on "Blue Peter" or moon around trying to grind the last emotive shreds from everything, that crew did an awful lot of high quality stuff.

Ginge