Thread: Can you get skins for an S5?

Senior Member 500 Club

Can you get skins for an S5?

Joan wrote somewhere in the Googlesphere that I ought to ask, so I'm asking. If I need them, what are they likely to cost?
    I know that life expectancy is a piece of string question but I'd expect ten years if they were looked after. Is this realistic?

Senior Member 500 Club

You'd be able to get them from Rans in the USA but they won't sell into the U.K except through their sole agnet Dave Almey at SkyCraft.

I have wondered what the score would be via the LAA who are the only UK Permit granter, if pattern skins would do using the old ones at masters /

Tell me what you find.

mike.

Senior Member 500 Club

Thank you. I'll ask him.

In order to make your own,
    You would have at least to demonstrate parity of material and quality of stitching would have to be up to the mark. A job for somebody who knows what they are doing. Mum! Job for you here! I suppose if a LAA inspector were overseeing the construction, it could be done.

Senior Member 500 Club

I think you'd only get a satisfactory offer [both for LAA & yourself} from a professional sail maker or existing microlight wing fabric maker/repair business.
    OTOH try to find an a/c that isn't in imminent need of a such major investment. i.e. Time as well as cash.

mike