Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blade 582 Battery

not real name 100 Club

Blade 582 Battery

Hi all,
    The battery in my 582 is rubbish. The chap we bought it from said it was new but if it's a new one it was a dud! I get around 10 seconds of sluggish turn-over before it gives up the ghost completely. If she is jumpered she kicks over fine and starts quickly. I've checked the earths and it's not the earth that's the problem.

I want to get a new battery. The one in it is a Bosch 12 AS with a code of 512 014 010 12 V 12 Ah 100A (EN).

I have a number of questions I'd like to ask you Blade experts:

[list type=decimal]
    * Where is the best place to get a replacement?

* Would a battery with a higher spec perform better. Perhaps with more cold crank amps (200A)

* What should I expect to fork out for a replacement battery?

* When the engines running what voltage should I get across the terminals? On my bike I expected around 13 - 13.5V.[/list type=decimal]
    Cheers,

Ian

Blade 582 Battery

Sure it was fully charged before your 10 seconds?
    Dave

not real name 100 Club

Blade 582 Battery

Well as fully charged as I can get it in the hangar. I had a solar trickle charger on it to top it up. But I flew a 50 minute flight to Ince and after a 20 minute stop there wasn't enough power in the battery to start the warm engine!

Blade 582 Battery

Don't trust solar chargers, or the aircraft's charging system - always check.

Do try a test discharge before dumping. They are good batteries. Take it home, charge it with your car charger. Connect an old headlight bulb and time its discharge down to 10.5v.
    Assuming a 55W headlight bulb:
    Capacity = Time(hrs) x (55 / 12) AmpHrs

Dave

Blade 582 Battery

I think i use a ctz14s (12 A/H) seen two winters now,fully sealed.(any GOOD bike shop)
    charge circuit should put nearer 14.5 volts (max) across the battery,if a bike was
    down to 13 ish then the reg /rec would be getting replaced.
    If you feel rich go for a "red top" off someone like demon tweeks,exceptionally good
    batteries(very high start current),but you will have to measure which one would fit.

john

not real name 100 Club

Blade 582 Battery

I have just bought a CTEK XS800 charger. It's fully automatic and does the whole 9 yards (desuplhation, bulk, pulse etc). It was recommended by a friend. I'll give the old battery a charge with that and see what happens.

Blade 582 Battery

ian
    one of these may help you ,nice guy (andrew), tell him what its for:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12v-LED-Battery-Monitor-voltage-and-charge-indicator-/150474037874?pt=UK_Gadgets&hash=item2308f39a72
    just like what the quiks have,but a different price..

not real name 100 Club

Blade 582 Battery

John,
    Just bought one :-) Thanks for the link. It is what the Blade is missing.
    Cheers,
    Ian

Blade 582 Battery

Nice one Ian,let us know how you get on with your battery/starting issues,mine was very marginal
    to start with but now is reliable and strong.you can gain some useful info. from looking for voltage
    drops on both positive and negative sides of the starter circuit whilst cranking the engine.be careful
    tho'! big whirly thing and multimeter to look at....
    john

not real name 100 Club

Blade 582 Battery

I know! It scares the living daylights out of me being stood so close to the prop, but there isn't really any other way!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast