Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 4 Blade Warpdrive Prop Setting on Blade 582

4 Blade Warpdrive Prop Setting on Blade 582

You know I'm not terribly familiar with 582s. But I think it's fair to say that all Rotax two-strokes should achieve around 6500rpm at full throttle in a reasonably fast climb. I note that, for example, the F2A TADs quotes a maximum of 6800 for the 503 and 462, but 6400 for the 582 engined versions. Maximum power occurs in the 6200-6500 band. I'd worry about engine longevity if it regularly exceeded 6700, and about ability to get out sensibly at MAUW if I couldn't get 6200. (Not casting any aspersions here, but it was not unknown for a designer to 'overprop' an engine in order to get the aircraft through the noise tests...)

Check flew a 582* F2A last week and it could be pushed to nearly 7000rpm, so suggested the owner check to see if his prop was a little too fine (he'd definitely not been fiddling with it).

As you must be aware, weather conditions will have a great influence, so it's best to gather performance data over several flights before making adjustments.

I assume you're aware of the 'trick' for adjusting blades finely? Slacken off the clamp bolts just enough to be able to grasp the blade tip and move it in a circle in the opposite direction to which you want the blade to twist. The blade 'walks' its way around in the clamp. By varying the order of steps in which you tighten up the bolts on either side of the collar, you can also get an extra fine final adjustment.

Dave

*Actually, it was a 503. Sorry.

Thats very interesting Dave ,thankyou ,suspected similar about the noise cert.

agree 7k a little high ,definately the wrong side of the power curve,apart from the engine life issues.

I know what you mean about twisting a pipe in a pipe but never thought of doing that on a prop,cheers that'll cut the job in half.

Ive got 100 hrs on this engine now so think its time for a little fine tuning,thanks for the advice,especially the figures

john

I used to check and adjust mine all the time (582 Blade with 4 blade warp). Haven't touched them for years now and always get 6450rpm on climb out. Oddly my owners handbook shows that when it was checkflighted 3 of the blades were at 123 degrees and one at 119 degrees. Mentioned it to Roger once and I think he said it wouldn't have flown ... but very odd that another poster has found his set similarly.
    Mike

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Blade 582 was definitely over propped coarse to get through noise certificate, seem to remember being told at Barton when Jennifer Murray and Colin Bodill were there.

Kev

Hello

It is not possible to compare the Flash 2 Alpha and the Blade with the Rotax 582 engines as the Alpha has the low noise 582 engine which gives peak power at 6000 rpm and max rpm at 6400 and the Blade had the full power 582 engine which gives peak power at around 6400-6500 rpm (cannot remember the exact figure).

The pitch setting is measured using the Mainair prop setting tool and not the Warp Drive tool. If you find the Warp Drive tool easier to work with then set one prop blade with the Mainair Tool and then make sure all of the others are then set to the same angle. It should be possible to get them all within 1/2 degree of each other anything worse and vibration could start to get significant.

The TADS figures are correct and should give the published climb or a very close approximation of, 582 Alpha at 370kg AUW should climb at around 660 ft/min and Blade 582 at 390kg around 800 ft/min. This is assuming everything else is correct, engine okay, batten profile correct etc etc.

Dave Smith is correct get an optical tacho to confirm what your engine revs really are, as two stroke rev counters are not the most reliable and a couple of 100 rpm at the top end can make a big difference.

Roger
    P&M Aviation

Hi Rodge,
    Good to see you still taking an interest in the 2 strokes. I know no-one wants them these days, but I have been looking at replacing my aircraft and of course the only choice is whether it's gonna be a 912 or 912S. Which is a shame because I was disgruntled at having to wait best part of 20 minutes warming up before we could fly the test aircraft, whereas my Blade 582 is ready to go in 2 or 3 minutes. And then some 4 stroke owner patronisingly asked me if the 582 isn't a bit rough compared to a modern 4 -stroke. I had just had a flight in a Quik 912 (dunno whether it was the S) and what had struck me was how rough it felt in the cruise compared to the 582.
    I can't help but think that if the ancillary stuff around the 582 had been developed further (cooling, starting, monitoring etc) and if Rotax could have been a bit braver with TBO recommendations once people stopped thrashing them, it would have made for interesting lighter and cheaper engines than we have adopted.
    Mike

Thanks for the reminder Roger. I'd forgotten about the low noise 582 on the F2A. (And I wasn't suggesting you guys had any difficulties with noise testing... I do seem to remember a sadly, long-gone Bradford-based manufacturer struggling a bit though.)

And bravo Mike - I've been extolling the virtues of two-strokes for ages. Mostly on deaf ears (but never mind, it means there's a steady stream of VERY cheap secondhand two-stroke machines available). Only disadvantage I see is having to spend more on fuel, but for a typical low hours club pilot, this really is small beer.
    Dave

hello All,
    ( i hear you Dave) my first "propper" bike was a yamaha rd400 so i obviously have a soft spot for strokers!
    and they do have a good power too weight ratio,my 582 blade has 20 kg more payload than a mates 912 version.
    hoping to drop in on courchevel with it next year! flying the two stroke flag
    john

Well finally managed some time to check my prop settings, 123.75 ,so adjusted back to as near I can get to 123 deg. very nice change now pulling 6250/6300rpm on climb out and gained a couple of 100 fpm which is nice. Still holds hot 62 ias at 5000 rpm. now waiting for a cheap chinese optical tach to check the tacho... the story continues

john

Those are more or less identical figures to mine John. I was told that if you can keep the revs to 4900 the fuel consumption is disproportionately reduced. I have a digital EGT and it's true that if I run it at 5100rpm egts are about 620, whereas if I drop it to 4900 they go up to 650 .... and the red light starts flashing at me ... so it must be running very lean at that rpm.
    Mike

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast