Thread: Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Hi All

I have the opportunity and I'm wondering what problems I may have getting and keeping an old Quicksilver MX2 flying. Could a plane end up like `Triggers Brush' If new parts were needed? I'm thinking tubes, fabric ectra from the states. And does the BMAA support the prolonging of life to these old birds.

Diamond geezer Banned500 Club

Quicksilver

Getting could be difficult, while some undoubtedly lurk in the backs of hangars they may take a bit of locating. Parts and keeping it flying shouldn't be too much of a problem as it seems to be supported by the manufacturer and just about all older aircraft have a more than a touch of "Trigger's broom" about them, I know my TST has.

http://www.quicksilveraircraft.com/aircraft.htm

I found the enthusiasm and support from the Tec Office for my Tiger Project outstanding and the mandatory mods in the TADS don't seem very onerous but I'd enquire about the noise certificate with Ben, there may be one in the MAANs but I can't find them on the site anymore.
    I see that there is a "Type Godfather" who could be of help but I don't know if that is out of date or not as the list is pretty old.

They do look a huge amount of fun and do seem to have stood the test of time, so I can see that they are tempting

Good Luck

Ginge

Senior Member 500 Club

Quicksilver

I saw Johns Quicksilver in the hangar at Fenland last weekend.

First one I have ever seen, it looked in superb condition.

Diamond geezer Banned500 Club

Quicksilver

Oooh, that is a tempting looking beast

Ginge

Quicksilver

It's an mxl2 - only one in the country. I have inspected it annually for the last 15 years or so. No problem renewing parts from the states as you go. Because several thousand were built ( neat ten thousand quicksilver variants all in) parts are still reasonably easy to get, and not too expensive.

I have known a few folk who have ' refreshed ' their old machines with a
    Whole New kit from the states.

Paul

Quicksilver

Tony wells's daughter Charlotte used to fly one around the hangars at kirkbride (with her dad in the other seat) when she was seven and Tony swore that she did the lot including landing as long as the wind was light
    looks like fun on a stick to me!!! :smile: Pip Pip Ian