Thread: Paragliding wing on paramotor

Paragliding wing on paramotor

[3]Quick question about Paramotor wings; Can I use a paramotor under a wing that is primarily used as a paraglider? [/3]

[3] [/3]

[3]I’ve only looked on the Gin site at the ‘beginners’ wing and it states it is suitable for both but what is the weight of the motor/prop etc – does the extra thrust mean I can enjoy both with one wing?[/3]

[3] [/3]

[3]Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on the subject – I have a chance to do a bit of paragliding in the UAE and may get a motor for the UK.[/3]

[3] [/3]

[3]Cheers - Keir [/3]

Yes lots of pg wings can be used on ppg,they thermal better in my books.i have used aspen wings ozone wings.firebird wings and my mate uses the ozone delta on his,stay away from dhv1 only use dhv 1/2 2.i would say dhv 2 wings are better,what set up do you have.

Firstly, apologies for posting the same thread three times – The web page said error every time I pressed send so I pressed it again!

Thank you for the replies Andy and Steve – We have a GIN dealer here who recommends the Bolero 4 as a great paraglider to get going – Looking at the weight limits I would assume I need to go higher (XL) if I had a motor, or does the extra thrust allow for the added weight.

Thanks once again.

Keir

Hi Paul

Thank you for your comprehensive and informative reply. You’re correct I’m totally new to Paragliding and taking in as much information as possible.

I’ve booked a Funday with a UK based school to have a go and see if I take to it and will of course ask the instructor for as much advice as I can get – The Paramotor is an idea that may follow so, for the time being, the Bolero 4 should be ok.

Thanks again

Keir

Diamond geezer 500 Club

To add to (and reinforce) Paul's comment -- a wing that is designed for a heavier weight is probably not a good idea for paragliding. My first morning of paragliding training was miserable because of being assigned a wing that was too big. As soon as it filled it lifted me off the ground so I had no way to feel or "ground handle" it: the net result was the wing collapsing and me being dumped on the ground from several feet up. Several times.

After lunch that day I had a wing that better matched my (light, 60kg) weight, and everything was easy and fun, as it should be.

Mike

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Mike Cowlishaw wrote: To add to (and reinforce) Paul's comment -- a wing that is designed for a heavier weight is probably not a good idea for paragliding. My first morning of paragliding training was miserable because of being assigned a wing that was too big.
    All paragliders are certified within a weight range. That weight range is the total flying weight. All other types of weight range are merely recommendation.

Paragliders are usually certified to EN 926 for both flying and load tests. Some also certify to the German LTF standard.

However, the weight ranges for both standards are always quoted as all up weights. The middle of the weight range is not a bad place to be, but see Paul's recommendations if you want to fly powered + unpowered. Outside that weight range you are flying uncertified.

What ever wing you get dhv 1 0r 1-2 for pg,just be in the middle of the weight range.it will be fine for ppg,ive flown all my pgs on paramotors.i always fly at the top end when free flying.much more feed back from wing,but as your new stick with being in the middle,your instructer will put you right.when you decide to go ppg.join paramotorclub or one of the other ppg forums for the best advice about ppg flying.current pg wing is ozone mantra m3.got action 29 ppg wing i also free fly.were do you live,,,,,,,