Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Four Stroke V Twin progress

Four Stroke V Twin progress

Thanks for all the great input.

I've looked long and hard at the Luciole conversion, but its just not quite right. The power is a little low so with a light tune running at 3900rpm, as Paul says the prop is too fast for my slow draggy aeroplane. I love the Luciole conversion, but I'm not going to let my heart rule my head.

I used to hand throw my Vdub on my Taylor Monoplane, no problem in itself, but electric or pull start is a step forward.

I think I will have to give up on the B&S, thats OK, I have an emotional attachment to 2 strokes anyway.

I'll still watch your progress Kev, you sound a determined chap, you're gonna get there.

You have rekindled my interest in Trikes. (SSDR's that is)

Diamond geezer 500 Club

New heavy duty starter arrived today from Brian
    Thanks for sorting that out sir, big relief to get a leg-up with what looked like a thorny one to solve :smile:

Oh joy, off to pub for a late celebratory beer :yeah:

Exhaust and silencer needed next...Engine mount sorted, tacho to try on the mag to see if it will work, anyone want a very low hours 447, can be seen running?

Kev

Fabulous!
    Got your hearing back yet?
    Particularly liked the petrol feed tube just grazing the prop pulley, and being licked by the exhaust...
    You should be able to tune it on the colour of those exhaust flames (remember the Colotune?).
    Can't seem uch vibration.

Dave

Don't sell the 447 yet.
    You never know...

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Dave Smith wrote:
    Don't sell the 447 yet.
    You never know...
    Awwww! Shurrup ratbag after all that hard work ;-) The fuel line was carefully routed to clear the exhaust flames, hence central over the pulley, and a dry power extinguisher was on that window shelf.

Gunsens colourtune aspect did occur, a hangover from the days of SUs and carb needle choices, however the mixture might well change when extraction exhausts go on? Just found out the tappet clearance should be 0.016" intake and 0.018" exhaust engine hot, whereas I'd set them to standard 0.006". No wonder when I measured the valve overlap figures with a degree wheel blue-tacked onto the crank pulley, they were so ridiculous!

Good job this was passed on from the camshaft manufacturer otherwise I may have burned those lovely stainless valves, so this afternoon is spent fettling again.

Bit weird staring directly into the combustion chamber (ear defenders on).

The plates to advance the ignition can go back on now, will be watching like a hawk for kickback and using Optimax or Excellium petrol to avoid starter damage. Brian's new starter spins the engine like a top, what a difference.

Cheers

Kev

Diamond geezer 500 Club

First setback; running the engine up to revs and the fan let go with a bang, damaged the casing and took some of the plastic outer shielding off the ignition Mag units.

Buggeration!

Turns out the steel mesh fan screen braces it against centrifugal forces, take it off and it weakens the bloody plastic structure. When some excited idiot starts revving up the thing it needs bracing.

Ordered a new fan, fixed the light damage to the ignition units with epoxy and ran it up to test sans cooling shrouds, all OK. The Americans advise bracing the fan across the fan fixing screws, or refitting the screen.

Did consider binning the lot and going the free air via cooling duct route but in the end stuck to plan A, fan cooled.

Kev

How do you know what revs you ran when the self distruct happened Kev? Running without a prop is a dangerous exercise. (Running with one is even more dangerous - but only for you...)
    Dave

Hello Kev.

You might of wrote previous so if I missed it, apologies, but what prop are you thinking of?

Having just read the superb Hercules story in LAA mag it begs the question whether he's your man!

Spoke to him re a prop for my Hawk but the hassle/price of a noise test put me off big style.

Good luck and please talk to E-go about your engine because I am not happy with the thought of a white hot rotary slowly melting away my arse at 10k without me knowing about it. Thinks I will fit a Spitfire style rear view mirror to watch for smoke!

Hugh.

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Just built the exhaust headers, used two 90 degree and one 45 degree elbow per side, 1.5 wall in 32 external to get the right internal for torque, as found on the online exhaust tuned length calculators. To get as much length as poss but keeping it compact, I had to send them over the redrive and down the other side. Can still get to the clamping bolts to allow belt adjustment on the eccentric shaft

Stick tack-welded it up on the motor, bolted to the head by laser-cut exhaust flanges, then off to Fab Shop to get one of the lads to TIG it all up properly after grinding my pigeon-poo off ;-)

Got 690mm header length and need to join them at 915, so need to make a Y piece join the two pipes within 235mm or 9 1/4".

We tend to ignore exhausts but this was bloody hard work to create.

Cheers

Kev

Dave Smith wrote:
    Fabulous!
    Got your hearing back yet?
    Particularly liked the petrol feed tube just grazing the prop pulley, and being licked by the exhaust...
    You should be able to tune it on the colour of those exhaust flames (remember the Colotune?).
    Can't seem uch vibration.

Dave
    Attached files

Accounted for the 270 degree firing offset into the 'Y' Kev?
    Dave

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast