Thread: Tyre change help?

Tyre change help?

Hi fellow Bladeees

I need to change a tyre on mmy Blade 582 (2000 vintage) but haven't done this job before.

Does anyone know if the tyre comes off easily with levers or would it need to go to a garage to get prised off and a new one?

Any other tips greatfully received.

Thx

Jeremy

Tyre change help?

Hi Jeremy

I've changed 3 of them and 2 were relatively easy, wheels were in good condition and the tyres came off with a bit of effort and a set of 3 tyre levers.

The last one was a pain in the butt and the wheel was fairly corroded on the inside.

I did have some trouble pinching inner tibes twice when putting them back on.

My recommendation woudl be that if the wheels look clean and shiny, it is probably easy enough to do, but if they look corroded, I'd just go straight to the garage.

Regards

Steve

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Tyre change help?

The trick is to get the opposite end of the tyre bead to sit well down in the well of the wheel with the tube totally flat...the opposite edge of the tyre should come over the rim then, I use a bit of fairy liquids diluted in water as a lubricant on my Landrover tyres when I need to take the off,

Its possible that when you deflate the tyre the tyre bead maybe stuck to the rim...with a bit of elbow grease it should come apart ok,

I used 2x10 inch flat blade screwdrivers with the sharp edge ground off as levers...what you dont pinch the tubes.

Nick.

not real name 500 Club

Tyre change help?

Nick Axworthy said...

I used 2x10 inch flat blade screwdrivers with the sharp edge ground off as levers,

Nick.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mark says :-

Or Buy some tyre levers from here. That way you don't mess up the wheels and inner tubes so much.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DROP-FORGED-TYRE-LEVER-SET-3-X-240mm-MOTOCROSS-ENDURO-/250919030584

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Tyre change help?

Another thing that helps...take the wheels in doors if you can to warm up overnight if pos...near a rad....makes the tyre more flexible....should come off the rim quite easy,

Once you have one bead fully off you can pull the tube out.

Nick.

Tyre change help?

Thanks for the comments. I'll have a go at the weekend.

Jeremy

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Tyre change help?

Over the last few days I have been replacing all 3 tubes in my trike wheels...the valves where starting to peel away from the tubes...its an F2a but as far as I know they are the same as the blade wheels,

Anyway its been some time since I last had the tyre off and I forgot how much of a fiddly job it is to get the 90deg cranked valve back into the hole in the rim on resembling the wheel,

Seems the best way...to me anyway is to feed the valve in from the rear face of the wheel with just one tyre bead on the rim...knocks hell out of you fingers if the tyre is a bit stiff...make sure the tube is not trapped under the tyre bead edge before you inflate...I find I can poke the tube under the bead if its poking out by inflating the tube a bit and pushing the tube with a blunt object,

But getting the tyres off in the first place is a sinch...so much easier working on bigger tyres/wheels.

Nick.