Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Welcome

not real name 500 Club

Welcome

Apparently a few Mistrals have the 65litre tank but still only allowed 25lts max, I guess you'll need to trade cockpit weight for fuel. They originally had a 30ltr tank and then some converted to 2 x 20ltr chaser tanks but still limited to 25lts, crazy but that's it, I doubt whether common sense will ever prevail on that one.

Diamond geezer Banned500 Club

Welcome

I would have thought that trading fuel for weight should be totaly straightforward GeeJay. It's something that many of us pilots of 390kg microlights and it is fairly standard on the Microlights (heavy) have done. Unless there is a major Cof G issue it is just a simple paperwork mod since the successful arm twisting exercise on the CAA allowed it to happen.

Surely some of the other Mistral pilots have already done it.

Good luck it's great to see you enjoying your aircraft

Ginge

not real name 500 Club

Welcome

Oh do I enjoy it, managed over three hours flying on Saturday, 30litres well spent flying from Clench Common near Marlborough across to Bath, up the Severn to turn around over Defford Croft Farm back down the other side of Gloucester passed Kemble to return to Clench for tea and biscuits, then another flight over to White Ox Mead to visit Gerry then back to Clench. Great day,weather, flight in the company of my brother Stuart.

Deeekent

Welcome

Am I right in saying that the Mistral s restricted to 25lts of fuel, thus giving you less than 2 hours endurance?

not real name 500 Club

Welcome

Originally yes, but many fuel tanks were removed and replaced with a either a pair or like mine a single 55 litre so you can trade weight for fuel. Works well and a more sensible distance available.

Deeekent

Welcome

Cheers Graham, I still don't quite understand this. Am I right in saying that it's ok to carry more fuel so long as the MTOW is not exceeded? On Don Curtis post back in 2012, he says that his permit was revoked for a weight and balance issue and possibly an oversized fuel tank.
    Sorry if my question is a bit naive but I'm looking to purchase my first aircraft

DK

not real name 500 Club

Welcome

As long as the tank change has been done with all the mods proper, then there is no problem exchanging fuel weight for passenger/baggage weight, the CAA are much more sensible about it now, just check weight and balance. I've had no issue at all with it. Just check the paperwork of the aircraft and ensure the tank change has been done correctly with the mods. It should be a single 65litre tank installed right up behind the seats. It's not possible to get 65 litres in it as the tanks weren't specifically designed for this aircraft so the angle it sits at and when it's filled doesn't allow it to be brimmed so to speak. But then again do you really need 6 hours endurance? 35 to 45 litres is more than enough for all but rediculous long flights on your own I'm sure. Talk to any of the inspectors that permit them and be assured. It's a lovely aircraft to fly and the maintenance has not been an issue at all. I'm no diy enthusiast and certainly not an engineering type and all that's been needed I've managed easily with a little expert advice from those more technical, so for 5-6k it really is nice cheap flying.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12