Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: We made it !

not real name 500 Club

We made it !

I see a number have signed up already )

Ian Lee wrote: I agree 100% with Carl. Those who wanted to take part did so, and other chose not to. Fairy nuff either way. I for one was not under any undue duress, and the weather was marginal...but flyable. I ended up aborting my effort at getting the waypoints down near Coventry yesterday because the winds aloft were too choppy for comfort (first time I've unlatched my visor in preparation for a "technicolour yawn", but I did manage to bag Buxton VRP. I made my way back up to Barton in plenty of time for the finish and landed in 20 Kt winds gusting to 35. What have I got out of it?
    1. I stretched my limits
    2. I can fly in 20kt winds and 35kt gusts, however I normally won't bother
    3. I met a fantastic group of fellow aviators. Carl, Laura is a gem, and one gutsy lady
    4. I respect John Moore for putting on the event. It may not agree with everyone but by letting aviators make the choice we all got back with no accidents. Well done John. PLEASE do another next year!!!!!
    5. My tent doesn't leak [IMG]/emoticons/wink.gif[/IMG], unlike Bill & Roger's.
    6. I do apparently snore! Sorry guys.

and most important of all

I WON my class [IMG]/emoticons/smile.gif[/IMG]

not real name 500 Club

We made it !

Although I didn't make it to Barton, having spent Tuesday extracting my aircraft from a field, I'd like to thank John Moore for organising the event and I will definitely be entering next year.

It is worth noting that John canvassed the competitors' opinions by email before making a go/no go decision to hold the event and the majority voted for Go.

To have changed the rules halfway through the rally would have been a nonsense. The event is all about flight planning and reading the weather. It is always the pilot's decision whether to fly or not. Not someone else's. There was nothing to stop pilots just staying in the Barton area if they so wished, and perhaps winning the event by those tactics.

The lack of incidents would seem to show that the pilots exercised admirable decision making and did not place accumulating a score over flight safety.

Therefore the personal criticism of John seems completely uncalled for.

Congratulations to the winners and all those who took part - I look forward to reading the write up and seeing the pictures in next months' MF.

[Andy - PJK is Peter Kelsey, a long standing forum 'troll'/egotist, who has been making critical postings on the main BMAA website and facebook today and maybe here, but I wouldn't know as he's on my ignore list ]

not real name 500 Club

We made it !

I really don't see what all the fuss is about regarding weather and the arrival time limitation. The event needs to have a timescale for the purtposes of establishing completion of the task and deciding positions in the final reckoning.
    We didn't have the rain on the saturday afternoon at Barton, just strong wionds. As has been said, it is all about planning. The only difficulty that I found was that weather predictions were only a rough guide at best. in particular, cloudbase indications proved to be almost worthless.
    An example of how this caused participants to vary plans whilst on route was choosing to avoid high ground ahead, miss the Malvern Hills waypoint and continue to Wolverhampton. If my blurred memory of saturday night is correct, I spoke to two others who made similar decisions whilst in the same area around Ternhill/Shawbury. I was looking at rain ahead with low cloud and rising ground. The acronyms AAIB and CFIT flashed across my mind and the decision to alter my planned route was a no brainer.
    John was right to keep to the rules and I was prepared for the possibility of not getting back to finish if the weather went against us.

We made it !

Hi John

It was 9 micro grammes :jumpin: not 9%, that was what you was drinking :turn:

I was at BBQ near oulton park all day Saturday, I didn't see anyone fly over but the weather was good most of the day.

Good to see you

Me

Allan Hitchcock

We made it !

Just to keep in the loop. Nick and I made two attempts to break out on Thursday. Thwarted by rain /low cloud so back to Barton. Spent Friday paddling around Manchester - excellent Art Gallery. Decided to pull out and head back to Popham Saturday rather than risk not getting back on Sunday. Well done everyone.

not real name 500 Club
    Glen Innes NSW - previously The Banana Stip - aka Stoke International in Kent

We made it !

And to update what I got up to:

Thursday

11.25 - departed Barton for the low level coridoor and discovered it was too low level for me - returned to Barton 11.50

15.25 - departed Barton for the low level coridoor and discovered it was JUST ok for me - scooted on past Oulton Park (100pts!!) and headed south for the midlands, turned left and went to Fenland (100 Pts!!!)

18.00 - discovered that the fen in Fenlands is another word for bog or puddle, both applied to the runway.

Friday

03.00 - awoke cold and wet having discovered the wind limits of my tent had been exceeded

15.00 - discovered the wind limits of 4 ropes and stakes on a Raven were being exceeded so used body weight to slow down the raven and arms to attract attention from tower for more bodies - decided to use fire truck to act as wind break and ground anchor in place of 5 people.

16.00- after lowering heart rate (raven sliding past the window trailing ropes gets the heart going) decided to withdraw from rally and focus on getting home in 1 piece ... in reality the weather for Barton was not looking great for Sat PM and Sun AM and I could not get caught in Barton as I had to work)

Very nice comittee member from Fenland took pity and let me sleep in the club house

Saturday

06.00 - packed up and headed home

08.30 - full breakfast in the Stoke cafe with Raven in hangar

So no ribbon this year but I will be back next. Cheers.

not real name 500 Club

We made it !

Yak.. Southern maidens water..

Mark Jackson wrote: Hi John

It was 9 micro grammes :jumpin: not 9%, that was what you was drinking :turn:

I was at BBQ near oulton park all day Saturday, I didn't see anyone fly over but the weather was good most of the day.

Good to see you

Me

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234