Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 912 carb rubbers

912 carb rubbers

Standard 5 year 912 rubber replacement kit available here:- (suggest being seated before reading the price) :-)

http://www.ekmpowershop2.com/ekmps/shops/conairsports/5-year-standard-replacement-package-912ul--912uls-engines-only-359-p.asp

Diamond geezer 500 Club

912 carb rubbers

So does your soft start conversion reduce the incidence of carb rubber failure Conrad? That Rotax Video the Americans used to put out showed a VAST reduction in vertical movement on startup using a needle indicator on a card.

http://www.rotax-owner.com/informati...reviews/49-ssm

You used to ask around £150 for it didn't you? Sounds cost effective to me. No way to artificially retard the current setup on mine though...;-(

Cheers

Kev

Conrad Beale ConAir Sports wrote:
    Dave, slightly out of date now but you might find a booklet I wrote useful. It goes out free with every new 912 engine purchased through Skydrive or can be downloaded from my web site free. http://www.conairsports.co.uk/downloads/912%20maintenance%20article%20-%20inc%20carb%20bal.pdf

The Rotax manuals do list the maintenance necessary but could be slightly more user friendly.
    In my booklet Page 18 gives information on checking the gearbox friction torque (gearboxes with slipper clutch only) & page 20 gives info on the 5 year lifed items. You do need to refer to the latest Rotax manuals for the up to date maintenance criteria. Rotax manuals can be downloaded from www.flyrotax.com.

Rotax iRMT courses are a good way to go & provide a source very useful information to educate owners.

912 carb rubbers

Kev

The Soft Start Module reduces engine shake at start, but improvement in carb rubber life is not something we can substantiate.
    I have checked the number of carb rubber failures reported through the official Rotax CSIR form & have not received a single form for carb rubber part numbers 267785, 267787, 267788 & 267789. We hear of failures through this sort of thread on the forums but I have no way of substantiating them or any way to determine the extent of the problem.
    I understand that the number of carb rubbers sold does not even cover the number that would be required for the 5 year replacement requirements, & whilst we are aware of some failures we don't know how old the items have been. I would encourage owners to report these sort of failures to us on the CSIR form so we can get some real evidence to see if there really is a problem.

The very latest 912ULS engines have a device in the ignition box similar to the soft start & are also fitted with a new version of flywheel which alters the timing to improve starting. The flywheel is retro-fittable to all 912ULS engines. The electronic box can be fitted to most 912ULS engines but compatibility is engine number specific.

The CSIR form is in the back of the operators manual or can be downloaded from http://www.flyrotax.com/portaldata/5/dokus/d04153.pdf

912 carb rubbers

Peter B wrote:
    Standard 5 year 912 rubber replacement kit available here:- (suggest being seated before reading the price)
    _Thud_
    ...... tumbleweed.........

912 carb rubbers

hello all,

just looking at a carb service etc at the minute and came across this thread.
    These guys in France seem to have softened the blow on the pocket www.loravia.com
    Carb rubbers 60 euro each and i got a carb servicing for 2 carbs for 160 euro at Blois - big saving on what we are used to

Sorry if the website is old news to some of you!!

Regards, Victor

912 carb rubbers

Thanks a million for that link to Loravia. I need a spark club connector. Skydrive £30. Loravia quote £8.80 ! (exactly the same original part) Why do Skydrive so outrageously take the piss?

912 carb rubbers

Victor, you might find that this carb rubber problem is also one which has dogged the beemer flat twin for many years. They also use Bing carbs, which brings me to another point you made. Spares for Bing carbs can be obtained at a much more reasonable cost from BMW motorcycle dealers.

912 carb rubbers

My memory of the "old style" flat twins is hazy now but;

Isn't it the case that all the pre /7 the carb is rigidly mounted? I think there is a plastic sleeve on the metal inlet stub and the carb slides onto that.

I also can't think of a single model where there isn't a rigid plastic air hose between the carb and the airbox.
    I'm sure I remember that the rubber mounting on the /7 is held by a jubilee clip at both ends - not bolted on at one end as in the rotax example.
    I don't remember ever replacing a carb rubber.

Laurie (2)

912 carb rubbers

Hi Roger,
    I ride a BMW with Bings (R80R) which has very different carb rubbers to those on the 912 engines - they are just rubber tubes. I have replaced mine once, at around 70,000 miles / 15 years.
    The BMW design supports the intake side of the carbs by the air intake tubes so that the carbs do not bounce around - rather like on the Dynamic where the airbox nicely supports the back of the carbs and removes the bending of the rubber rubber manifolds - thus removing the probable cause of the rubbers cracking

AndyB

912 carb rubbers

Hi Andy, yes this is correct they had a spate of cracking and cured this by supporting the carbs. Simple but worked.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast