Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rotax 582 inverted

Senior Member 500 Club

Rotax 582 inverted

FWIW I have run the smaller cousin, an inverted Rotax 447 for over 9 years on premixed 50:1 Silkolene 2-Stroke Engine Oil for motorcycles SUPER 2 INJECTOR Semi-Synthetic, and never turn the fuel off, never have plug touble.

Shell & other similar oils are equal if Silkolene not available.

mike hallam.

Rotax 582 inverted

If the 582 is oil injection, I'd guess that the oil problem won't affect it. A few minutes running at idle will pretty much clear the engine of any excess. At idle, the mixture is around the 100:1 mark.
    Dave

not real name 100 Club

Rotax 582 inverted

May help??

I have a Robin engine, inverted instalation and it suffered greatly in respect to starting from cold after a short lay off (plugs and cylinders swimming in fuel - only way to get started was to remove the plugs and turn the engine over to expel the excess fuel), however, I have now completely cured this problem - I have fitted a fuel line quick release connector in the fuel feed (SSDR) and disconnect the fuel supply (which due to the quick release connector self seals).

On wanting to restart operations I connect the fuel supply, prime the float chambers (bulb pump) and apply choke (here is the difference between Rotax 447 and Robin) - I do not pull the engine through with ignition off (always necessary on the Rotax) but simply switch on and within 2 pulls the engine is running.

Regards
    Paul

Diamond geezer Banned500 Club

Rotax 582 inverted

Nice one Paul, would you like to cross post this on the Robin forum as well

Ginge

Paul Wilkinson wrote:
    May help??

I have a Robin engine, inverted instalation and it suffered greatly in respect to starting from cold after a short lay off (plugs and cylinders swimming in fuel - only way to get started was to remove the plugs and turn the engine over to expel the excess fuel), however, I have now completely cured this problem - I have fitted a fuel line quick release connector in the fuel feed (SSDR) and disconnect the fuel supply (which due to the quick release connector self seals).

On wanting to restart operations I connect the fuel supply, prime the float chambers (bulb pump) and apply choke (here is the difference between Rotax 447 and Robin) - I do not pull the engine through with ignition off (always necessary on the Rotax) but simply switch on and within 2 pulls the engine is running.

Regards
    Paul

Rotax 582 inverted

Not sure I follow - why is a self sealing connector any different to a fuel tap? And why does cutting off fuel supply when not running help? - unless you have gravity feed and some problem with your carb float level valve causing fuel to seep into the Venturi and run into the engine?

And be careful with self sealing connectors, we used to use them on the dragonfly but after some years of them being ok we had a lot of problems with them becoming blocked or partially so and causing engine failure. We believe that the seals weren't completely compatible with increased ethanol levels in fuel. It might be different with other brands , but having had our fingers burnt we weren't too keen to experiment again.

Paul

not real name 100 Club

Rotax 582 inverted

Paul
    Agree your position on self sealing connectors and of course a fuel shut off will do the same thing - can't provide explanation myself but if I don't disconnect the next time I operate I have to remove both plugs and pull through to expelled fuel from cylinders!
    How it gets there I don't know - tried stopping without choke (my usual way of stopping Rotax 447) but still had to 'drain'!
    Tank is below engine so doubt syphon.
    Float valves etc all new and set up as per manual.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12