Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mildew

Mildew

Do not expect results within a day or two.
    it will work,but the mildew is quite resilient.
    However, after a couple of weeks it will die, and the chemical will discourage it from returning.

KW

Mildew

Has anyone used this "Wet and Forget" and does it work?????

I have a Rans S6 with light blue Dacron, which has started to show mildew. I am looking to find the best way to remove it and if possible to stop it returning. The adverts for Wet and Forget looks good, but does it do what they promise...

Mildew

I tried it on my hawk it helped a bit but has not cleared it

Mildew

Thanks for that, When did you apply it? as some reviews say that it can take up to 4 months to work to its maximum?

Senior Member 500 Club

Mildew

I've found nothing much I've done in the past to remove 'black mould' from the a/c skins works for long. It also attacks the painted steel work in the cabin. Obviously though the Rans lives in a weatherproof 'shed' it remains humid for long periods at this time of the year and has already come back to a shocking extent.

Consequently I have just obtained delivery of the afore mentioned NZ product, "Wet & Forget" which I understand takes time to work its magic, but will apply it to the fabric and perhaps wet wipe the accessible tube work as soon as I am able.

My actual results will be written up & appear in future RansMails

As I suspect this menace afflicts many other a/c owners I will post this note in the main BMAA section too.

mike hallam.

not real name 500 Club

Mildew

Whilst not eliminating the mould completely it has made a noticeable difference. I have also obtained some large bags of silica gel and am leaving them inside the aircraft to see if that helps prevent recurrence.

not real name 500 Club

Mildew

I have just come back from the aircraft (first visit in 4 weeks) and I was pleased to see no sign of the dreaded black stuff growing. The combination of W&F and silica gel bags looks to be quite promising.

Senior Member 500 Club

Mildew

Great Feed-back to read and sounds like the right stuff, I am really quite excited about getting it into action.
    My 5 litre can is in the front hall waiting to be taken to the strip & applied asap.

Mind you with the prevalence of this mould I'm surprised we haven't had an avalanche of readers speaking up about their a/c.

mike hallam.

not real name 500 Club

Mildew

Not the best time of the year to apply it though Mike.

On my wings the mould seemed to be growing most on the inside. I sprayed inside my wings in the summer when the moisture had best chance of evaporating quickly. Having metal bits (even aluminium) sitting around in the damp could cause more problems than it solves. A classic Catch 22 situation.

Senior Member 500 Club

Mildew

Too true Steve,

However now my Tundra tyres are on the 'plane I can use it more often through the soft strip season which must help ventilation. So far yesterday have sprayed the wings' tops only, plus the fuselage outside.

I agree the very worst mould is inside at the most inaccessible places and almost impossible to get at to scrub off around the wing tanks. Previously I've unlaced the fus. skin and laid underneath in a pool of water laced with Dettol to remove it as well as I could, but the darned mould is not killed off and returns pdq.

Happy New Year to everyone,

mike hallam

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast