Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mildew

Mildew

I have been searching the web regarding this mold problem.
    Has anyone tried Sodium Percarbonate???? apparently it can be diluted in hot water and is cheaper than Wet & Forget.
    It is non phosphorous and once rinsed off is perfectly safe on sail material, and is an excellent cleaning agent.

The "Vanish Fabric cleaning" product range with Oxi action contains Sodium percarbonate.

If anyone has any anecdotal evidence of this chemical can they please post a reply.

Many Thanks Andy

Senior Member 500 Club

Mildew

Andy,

I'd carefully read the active ingredients of these products, as when I looked at them & some supposedly gentle (boat) sail cleaners they all seem to release a bleaching agent, which might well kill black mould & brighten the fabric too, but I fear they may be too aggressive on our Dacron fabric which for our sport is intended to be as strong as possible. [Before age & UV take their toll].

So far I only sprayed the bulk of my Rans outside skins with ~4:1 clean water + 'Wet n Forget' some ten days ago. The pundits say it needs longer. However I did open up the S6 shed & have a gander this afternoon, some areas do appear 'cleaner', but it could be imagination as others don't. It's too soon to be sure yet, but it's encouraging that others on this forum have had a good result.

The cost of 5 litres of this so far unproven jollop, to say 14 L/hour fuel consumption, it equates to ~2 hours flying, but this time of the year my hours & fuel costs are low. One container could be shared between several a/c.

I look forwards to receiving an article for RansMail on how your experiments go.

mike hallam.

Mildew

Mike
    Thanks for your advice, after a lot of searching on the web. I have bought 5 litres of the Wet & Forget. So the plan is to give the aircraft skins a good wash off with soapy water to get the dirt off, and then on another day give the skins a spray of the Wet & Forget.
    I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Andy

not real name 500 Club

Mildew

Andy Dyer wrote: I have been searching the web regarding this mold problem.
    Has anyone tried Sodium Percarbonate???? apparently it can be diluted in hot water and is cheaper than Wet & Forget.
    It is non phosphorous and once rinsed off is perfectly safe on sail material, and is an excellent cleaning agent.

The "Vanish Fabric cleaning" product range with Oxi action contains Sodium percarbonate.

If anyone has any anecdotal evidence of this chemical can they please post a reply.

Many Thanks Andy
    I tried sodium bicarbonate diluted in water and it didn't seem to do much. W&F and silica gel seems to be working well.

Mildew

Today I cleaned all the Dacron and sprayed the whole thing with Wet & Forget..... so fingers crossed.

Has anyone who has used the W & F, had any results yet...

I notice that from the wet & forget advert, that most applications are outside and get rained on, and this then re-activates the wet & forget.
    As my aircraft is in a hangar and dry I'm not sure if, to get the full benefit if I should wet the fabric over the next few weeks????

All suggestions gratefully received

Andy

Senior Member 500 Club

Mildew

Andy,

I sprayed mine and put it back inside, some I did inside later.
    Washing off hasn't been actively done and it worked for me as described in RansMail #165, March 2015.

mike hallam.

Black Mould attack, 'Wet & Forget progress Report after 2 months from spraying the Rans S6-116 externally http://www.wetandforget.co.uk/
    I pretty well know it takes time after application so a Sunny late Feb day I inspected the a/c and can say with some conviction the black mould has stopped growing. The old black rash hasn't gone but is no worse, implying it's dead, if unsightly. Considering the absolute need avoid all strong chemicals which weaken the Dacron fabric, that is a good result and the best since trying other means. The inside surfaces are more of a problem e.g. the wings where the fuel tanks lie close to the skin. I am hoping external applications will partly penetrate & kill off that mould too. Repeated application on the Rans is on my 'do' list and I'll also attempt to wash off the mould where accessible. Using it as a preventative on Dacron fabric microlight a/c might be best , before infestation. The UK agent confirms the mould dies 3 to 5 hours after being sprayed. If the a/c is outside wash off the wings in the rain. Inside although the mould is dead, it can't be flushed away. Prevention is always better than cure, especially if the a/c is at risk whilst over winter hangared.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123