Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Keeping a Thruster outside?

Banned Banned500 Club

Keeping a Thruster outside?

Hi,
    If you stick to the placarded weight limits you'll find that a 503 is perfectly adequate for a TST.
    Having instructed in a 390kg T600T with a 582, I reckon you'd probably find it too powerful (and perhaps too heavy) for a TST.

Joan

PS, Simon, I suspect the 582 powered 'TST' you saw at Wing Farm was probably a T300 (this one, perhaps?).

Yes Joan. That's the one. Very tasty indeed!

Banned Banned500 Club

A Thruster, yes... but not a TST.
    :-)
    Joan

Diamond geezer Banned500 Club

Given a choice I'd stick with a 503, preferably a DCDI in a TST they make a beautiful match. I believe the the TST wing is a lower speed wing than either a T300 or T600 as it forms more of an undercamber when loaded due to the much lower number of battens. Of course a T600T also lacks the transparent air brake that the rest of us we sit behind and has a stiffer tail.
    Heck TSTs climb well, specialy with an Arplast prop (thanks again Mark) and handle wonderfully and as Mark says they are all about the smile on the pilots face.

Just off to smile some more

Ginge

At the risk of going off thread, how can I quickly tell the difference when I'm looking at a tst and a T300?

Spose I should know this but happy to be educated.

Banned Banned500 Club

Simon, you're not alone.
    The wing tips are the main guarantor of a correct identification because many TSTs have so-called T300 mods. TSTs have less wing battens ('fewer' for the grammar school kids) and don't have the wingtip 'gate' which gives the square-ended look to the T300 and T600 types.

A quick look at the general arrangement diagrams or pictures in the TADS will show what I mean.

Joan

not real name 500 Club

Mark will probably know whether they're strictly necessary or not - but I've seen some TST/T300s which are stored outside with simple control locks to stop the control surfaces waggling around in the wind. One I saw at Popham had a rectangular piece of wood jamming the aileron horns under the fuse tube which I thought was neat.

Here's a nice picture showing the wedge shaped TST wingtip (any excuse!)

Diamond geezer Banned500 Club

Very nice Tom, best viewed from the inside though :smilewinkgrin:

On our school T600N our control lock consists simply of a bit of string with a loop at each end and one in the middle. Loop over the stick, pass arounnd cockpit stucture below the side front strut, repeat with the other side and put the centre loop over the stick, pull back the stick and secure with seat belts. If you've got your string the right length the stick and controls are secure and central. The big Volair tail cover holds the rudder and as we are on concrete we have little rubber car mats under the tyres as it scrubs away tread as the aircraft dances in the wind.

The bit of string would be more difficult on a TST/T300 because of the very different cockpit structure, but not beyond a Thruster pilot I'm sure

Ginge

not real name 500 Club

Control Locks:-

A Square of Wood snuggly fitted ontop of the Teleflex / Push Rod on stops the Ailerons being pushed to exteams very well. Good idea to put a Hi Viz Flag on it though.

When parked outside it best to park the aircraft tial to the prevailing wind & Tie the Stick forward. This will prevent the tail lifting or be buffeted when the wind blows from the rear.

regards
    Mark

Banned Banned500 Club

Attached pic shows our Thruster tie down. Note 6-point tie down and also use of bungee as shock absorber between fore and aft wing tie downs to reduce risk of damage to strut attachments by gust loads. Volair wing and tail covers are fixed by combination of chord and bungee - important to ensure that wing covers can't blow off the wings because they'll turn into sails in a gale. The attachment bungees/chords will then act as sail-powered saws and the Thruster factory will earn some more money providing spare parts. Ailerons should be locked using either of the methods described by Ginge or Mark above (or below depending on which order you show the messages) or the tension in the cover attachments will pull them hard over one way or the other and may damage the control mechanism.

The tie down points are anchor chain set in concrete which was poured into a generous hole in the ground. If the aeroplane succeeds in lifting that lot it deserves its freedom :-)

The full pod cover in the picture is by Vertigo, though our own Mark Jones does a version too. We've found it good to ensure that fuel lines are covered to protect from UV and thus extend their working life.

The exposed metalwork gets regular checks and protection with waxoil or ACF-50 (and various other gunges) as appropriate.

Joan
    Edit: mnor typo

Attached files

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast