Thread: Jabiru and Comms

not real name, Please Contact Admin I'm new!

Jabiru and Comms

Having only operated from non radio strips but now moved to a controlled airport, we find that it is very hard to hear the controller (and vice versa, I think) at full throttle climbout, due (we presume ) to feedback through the mics. We have an old Communica set which until now has been very good. Removing the headset certainly reminds that it is doing it's job of noise reduction as the Jabiru engine is very noisy.

Has anyone any recommendations for a replacement comms set, which would allow an intelligible 2 way communication with ATC without dipping the throttle on each transmit?

Jabiru and Comms

have you not got an ANR button on your radio,this should cancel subject noise??

not real name, Please Contact Admin I'm new!

Jabiru and Comms

Yes the ANR helps but it is like there is no signal strength and we can barely hear the controller. Throttle back and crystal clear. I did wonder whether it was an antenna positioning thing or engine noise electrically. Nothing suggests generator or spark interference but it comes on just at full chat on climbout (together with max engine noise acoustically) and seems ok descending into circuit or approaching the ATZ from 15 miles out on cruise power.

We perhaps need to be a little bit scientific about logging RPM to signal readability and positioning.