Thread: RbR 2013 update

not real name 500 Club
    Glen Innes NSW - previously The Banana Stip - aka Stoke International in Kent

RbR 2013 update

Hello all.

Following John Moores (BJ) decision to step down from the BMAA council to drive trains and boats (hard life eh?) the organization of the Round Britain Rally has been passed across to another BMAA council member - that would be me, Kirk Sutton.

I and all the council wish to express our thanks to BJ for resurrecting the RbR and running it for the past two years. I personally feel that he leaves incredibly large boots to fill and I hope that the rally this year is half the success that it has been in terms of organization - for the weather I take no responsibility and like many remain with my childhood favourite of crossing my fingers.

So please bare with me as I come to grips with this and if you have any suggestions for minor tweaks to improve the running of it or the task involved let me know ... but please no requesting your home field be added to the approved point earning list of coordinates - if I have to sleep under a wing in a tent so do you.

Remeber you can see the rules and all the info about the RbR and register online at:

http://www.roundbritainrally.org/

Please also keep your fingers crossed for good weather as clearly just me did not work as evidenced by last year :rofl:

I will get the website updated and announcements on the BMAA website ASAP and will let you know when the payments etc need to be made.

Thanks for your patience on this one and I hope that it all goes well.

not real name 500 Club

RbR 2013 update

Thanks very much for taking this on Kirk. No small undertaking but equally I'm sure you'll make a huge success of it. As this will remain a BMAA event (which is a good thing IMO) hopefully you can also draw on the experience of the Competitions guys to share the load...

Fingers firmly crossed for the weather.

Tom

not real name 500 Club

RbR 2013 update

If I had one suggestion for the format it would be to bring back the 'land at' scoring points. Those of us with thirstier two strokes and limited endurance need to land regularly to refuel anyway, so having points which can only be scored by landing helps level the playing field a little, in addition to the formal handicap system. Otherwise those with more endurance can hoover up points by running the tank dry. The formal handicap system only addresses speed. Whereas 'land ats' help address the endurance issue too.

They're also more sociable. The 'double points land at' in 2011 meant that 4 or 5 teams were all at Fenland together on the Saturday morning, which was good for a chat and catch up. Otherwise there's no guarantee you'll see anyone between the start and finish.

Anyway feel free to adopt or ignore - and thanks again for stepping up to the plate.

Tom

not real name 500 Club
    Glen Innes NSW - previously The Banana Stip - aka Stoke International in Kent

RbR 2013 update

Like the idea and will see what I can sort out on land out sites - though I think I will if I can arrange them make them announced only at the day before briefing - throw in a nice smelly re-planning task the night before takeoff.

As for fuel endurance I can see a neat way of handicapping the long-legged aircraft to being them back to standard with the shorter legged ones but I am afraid that is beyond this years event ... people would really squeal if at this stage I made a thruster = ninja by adding in endurance as a handicap factor - goodness me that would make it all about planning, piloting and luck with weather.

Tom Brearley wrote:
    If I had one suggestion for the format it would be to bring back the 'land at' scoring points. Those of us with thirstier two strokes and limited endurance need to land regularly to refuel anyway, so having points which can only be scored by landing helps level the playing field a little, in addition to the formal handicap system. Otherwise those with more endurance can hoover up points by running the tank dry. The formal handicap system only addresses speed. Whereas 'land ats' help address the endurance issue too.

They're also more sociable. The 'double points land at' in 2011 meant that 4 or 5 teams were all at Fenland together on the Saturday morning, which was good for a chat and catch up. Otherwise there's no guarantee you'll see anyone between the start and finish.

Anyway feel free to adopt or ignore - and thanks again for stepping up to the plate.

Tom

RbR 2013 update

Kirk,

Yes, I'll second that - thanks for taking up the job. Lets hope this year isn't as frustrating as 2012.

Tim