Thread: Recover wrinkles

Recover wrinkles

Hi guys, I'm replacing the skins on my S6 and I need a bit of advise.
    I've got a few quite deep wrinkles and I don't seem to be able to get rid of them.
    I've not put any heat on them yet because I wasn't sure if I need to get these wrinkles out first.
    Can someone who has done skins take a look at my photos and advise me what to do?
    I'd also like to know the procedure for heat shrinking the skins. Start at the tail and work my way forward or what?

Thanks.

Scott.

Attached files

Senior Member 500 Club

Recover wrinkles

Scott,

I've found when simply relacing completely slackened off fus. covers that the wrinkles 'tell' you which way to pull the fabric at ~right angles to the creases.
    In your starboard side pic. the bottom could perhaps be eased forwards along the lower fus. rail & even round the lower firewall lacing?
    As for heat shrink, I'd need to re-read the original factory assembly manual when I get home next week to see what they say.

Who made the covers please [as I'll need a new skin for my S6-116 rather too soon] ?
    And if so, did the maker need the old covers as templates ?
    Did you have to remove the wings ?
    What sort of cost is involved ?

mike hallam [Sussex]

not real name 500 Club

Recover wrinkles

Look at the vertical stitching by the u/c legs and by the lift strut lugs. They should virtually line up with the vertical steel parts of the fuselage cage. It looks to me as though you should slacken off most of the fuselage then continually tighten the S1 lacing to pull it forwards. It is surprising how much it will pull forward but it requires many cycles. My S1 U-shaped aluminium former is very bowed. Do this before you tighten the rest of the fuselage lacing. I found that "grabbing" the cord with either a good set of pliers or mole grips and twisting them works well, but you end up with very sore thumbs.

The heat gun will remove quite a lot, but it is best to practice on an old bit of fabric to see how long you can dwell on it, and what it does before it finally melts. It is not for the faint-hearted but the results can be worthwhile if you get it right. I have to admit though, on some of the tail surfaces the heat gun actually appeared to produce more wrinkles than it got rid of - maybe I wasn't committed enough :-)

Attached files

Recover wrinkles

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm hoping to get back to the airfield this weekend, so I'll have a go at tighten up the firewall and see how that works.
    I've been doing a bit of work on my new instrument panel at home this week, so at least I've got to sit in front of it and do a bit of flight simulation.

Steve, when you say "slacken off most of the fuselage", do you mean just around the cockpit or the belly lacing too? Is that new skins on MIKI? If I get mine looking like that I'll be well pleased.
    And Mike, yeah I removed the wings. Infact, I removed just about every bolt & rivet on the whole plane. (photos attached)
    The new skins were made by Top Flight Sails (see ad in the MF mag) and they already had a pattern for the 6ES. They may need your 116 wing, flap & aileron skins though.

Regards.
    Scott.

Attached files

not real name 500 Club

Recover wrinkles

Try slackening off the fuselage lacing before doing the belly lacing. It is important you do up the straps at the rear though as you do not want the back of the fabric moving beyond the end of the tailcone. It does take a while to get it right - see attached picture of the day the fuselage covering was first pulled on. The other picture shows it virtually finished.

Overall it was an 8 month rebuild, mostly due to having to sort the surface corrosion found on the fuselage, but 5 weeks were taken improving the hangar to try to improve the environment.

Attached files