Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How did it all go?

How did it all go?

Peter Goff wrote: Kirk - why have you taken it upon yourself to edit my post and remove the questions i asked. i wasn't rude and i didn't swear but you have totally avoided the questions. In fact you didn't even allow them it to be asked.

My questions were for John Moore who had set the date and I was asking if he (or you as the organiser this year) had attempted to liaise with Tom Dawson.

What you seem to be saying is a quite definite no.... and you seem to be potentially threatening the future of Fly Uk by planning Spamfield to undermine it next year.

I find it hard to accept that the BMAA is being so high handed about this. You have a whole year to plan.... Fly Uk always falls on the longest day.... you have a diary so there is no reasonable excuse now to clash next year.

PS Please don't edit my posts again
    Hey up - this isn't the BMAA being high handed. it isn't organised by the BMAA. Its the same as any other event. Dates etc set by the organisers. it is only a 'BMAA event' in so much that ( like most microlight events) it uses the BMAA event insurance ( which fly UK might do as well I don't know).

As an event organiser myself a few times, I know that May to September is wall to wall with other events and its impossible to avoid a clash with something. Often all you can do is to look at published dates and do your best to avoid a clash with stuff you think will attract your potential customer and give you lower numbers.

Its really an embarrassment of riches - we have the nationals league running an event every two to three weeks, fly UK and RBR, Aero Expo, LAA rally, Vannes, Blois, great north Fly in, Cramfield,and Broadmeadow ( this week) Icarus cup, and countless local fly in's, so choice of events to go to almost every week in the summer up and down the country and into France and beyond - isnt it great!

Also are we sure that the RBR / fly UK overlap was a 'clash'- would people want to do both? - lots of time off work and a couple of grand in fuel to do both, and huge brownie point loss for family holiday prospects. I would have thought it was an 'either or' kind of thing, depending on the sort of event you fancied.

If we do have a BMAA Fly in next year, then I am sure the date will be picked to find a convenient hole in the calendar so it doesn't clash with any other microlight event if possible. But if both RBR and Fly UK ( or indeed any other event) organisers want to sync in and finish at it - the clash will be their own business.

Paul

not real name 500 Club

How did it all go?

What a lot of fuss..

Spamfield pre-dated Tom's event. I always planned Spamfield close to the dates I always used because it worked for me. When I resurrected the RBR I slotted into dates that were available at Barton that meshed with when I was available.

Potential competitors had the option to slot into when I and Barton was available because both of those things were fundamental to it working..

Thats it really.

not real name 500 Club
    Glen Innes NSW - previously The Banana Stip - aka Stoke International in Kent

How did it all go?

My apology - I simply clicked on the wrong button without noticing - the moderate button was hit and not the reply with quote.

My intent was to reply with quote and when I do that I keep the post short by removing original material that I am not responding to.

There was no intent to delete your post but there was in fact deletion for which I am sorry.

My point was that people are having a go at John M for the clash of dates - John M was not the organiser that took the RbR through to run this year but did set up the dates etc before handing over to me. My point is that with ANY time in the UK summer there are so many events and issues around that its not possible to avoid clashing dates.

I also pointed out that once a date - any date - is announced and people have started planning thats it - the date is fixed as you can't expect poeple to rearrange weeks off work etc.

nuff said really - the RbR ran, it was a small event but those who took part enjoyed themselves as I hope the Fly UK people did.

Cheers and I promise to look twice before clicking on icons to reply from now on.

Peter Goff wrote: Kirk - why have you taken it upon yourself to edit my post and remove the questions i asked. i wasn't rude and i didn't swear but you have totally avoided the questions. In fact you didn't even allow them it to be asked.

My questions were for John Moore who had set the date and I was asking if he (or you as the organiser this year) had attempted to liaise with Tom Dawson.

What you seem to be saying is a quite definite no.... and you seem to be potentially threatening the future of Fly Uk by planning Spamfield to undermine it next year.

I find it hard to accept that the BMAA is being so high handed about this. You have a whole year to plan.... Fly Uk always falls on the longest day.... you have a diary so there is no reasonable excuse now to clash next year.

PS Please don't edit my posts again

How did it all go?

Thanks Kirk - understandable mistake.

I notice the date for Fly Uk 2014 has been posted on this forum as 20th June - wouldn't it be great if either the beginning or end could coincide with Spamfield.

Cheers

Paranut

How did it all go?

Hiya guys. For me it was my first taste of competing on a microlight, let alone serious XC, UK airspace, landing out etc. It was a brilliant experience and I learnt a lot. I will definitely be there again next year, all things permitting, and I look forward to some of the newer aspects being introduced that Kirk has discussed for next year.

For me, I would prefer it to steer clear of Fly UK. They are events with similarities and I am sure we lost some aircraft to it. But that is a minor point really in the scheme of things. Just early PR will be enough to get the numbers up I am sure and I will be happy to help with this where I can.

I am looking forward to the traces being available ASAP as I would like analyse what I did and when, along with all the other guys that attended.

In summary, the best microlighting I have done to date. I thoroughly enjoyed it and can't wait to do it again!

Brett

Junior Member Settling in

How did it all go?

Hi

Having met the winner of the rally at Strathaven today, 1 month after the event, I have no idea the results and where I placed in relation to others....

Any news ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12