Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How did it all go?

not real name 500 Club
    Glen Innes NSW - previously The Banana Stip - aka Stoke International in Kent

How did it all go?

Well the RbR for another year has come and gone.

Despite the best efforts of rain, cloud and gales over the Friday/Saturday there were competitors that

[list type=decimal]
    * Got to the starting line on Wednesday (small number)

* Started the rally on the Thursday (smaller number)

* Got to the finishing line on the Saturday (even small number)[/list type=decimal]
    So while I cannot sign up to the famous quote "I counted them out and I counted them all back in again" I can say that it was a sucessful rally for the most part and I have a lot of feedback from competitors on how to improve the rally next year.

Full results and update will be here and on the rally website bby the weekend.

Thanks to all who took part.

How did it all go?

Would you consider NOT overlapping it with Fly-UK in future.

I know they are 'different events' - but I'm sure there is some cross over in people wanting to do both.

not real name 500 Club
    Glen Innes NSW - previously The Banana Stip - aka Stoke International in Kent

How did it all go?

Well IF we get a flying on the Isle of Wight next year we will align it to end at the flyin on the saturday.

The reason they align at the moment i nothing to do with intention to overlap or 'compete' with each other but everything to do with the difficulty of finding a weekend in the summer that is not already covered by another major event or a bank holiday.

not real name 500 Club

How did it all go?

Thanks again for doing the organising Kirk.

Despite the challenging weather (and ever-changing visibility!) I enjoyed the experience and will try and be back next year.

My spine may never be the same again after flying a TST from Devon to Edinburgh and back, but I met some great people on the way and it was one hell of a bimble!

I've put some pics up at /plus.google.com/photos/118336535351940331175/albums/5893514258965459249

The view over the Lake District made up for not scoring any points on Day 2.

Tom

not real name 500 Club

How did it all go?

Would you consider not overlapping Fly-UK with the RBR?

The date for the RBR this year was decided and announced 12 months ago.

Cheek... harumph..
    Gary Oliver wrote: Would you consider NOT overlapping it with Fly-UK in future.

I know they are 'different events' - but I'm sure there is some cross over in people wanting to do both.

How did it all go?

sorry John, no offence.

could Fly-uk then considder NOT overlapping with RBR....better?

just seems daft that these two events compete head to head when the same characters would like to do both.

cheers,

Gaz

How did it all go?

Well John is not the organiser now but he did set the date last year at the end of the 2012 RbR and when I took up the running earlier this year I saw no reason to change it as its hard enough for people to organise 4-5 days off in a week to do the RbR without the organiser moving the date that had already been announced - basically once a date is announced for an event like RbR or Fly UK I'm afraid thats pretty much it.

For next year as I have already posted IF the BMAA have a fly-in on the isle of wight then the RbR will end there.

Cheers

Kirk

having just taken part in Fly Uk I have to say this was a brilliant event this year especially keeping the group together. Fly Uk has now run successfully for the past 10 years and needs to be acknowledged as an established part of the calender. The RBR organizer had a a choice to avoid the same week, liaise with Tom Dawson or at least a try to bring the 2 events together at one of the airfields.

Senior Member 500 Club

How did it all go?

[3][/3]
    I totally agree with Peters sentiments.
    [3][/3]
    Fly-Uk has been running for 10 years, following the demise of the original RBR, and is organised around the longest day.
    [3][/3]
    It’s a 10-day non competitive, no pressure tour of the UK by microlights, with a great social atmosphere.
    [3][/3]
    Fly-UK is immensely popular, and scores of aircraft (and airfields) join in on various parts of the tour.
    [3][/3]
    Tom Dawson has received two BMAA awards for his efforts, despite the event being independent of the BMAA.
    [3][/3]

[3][/3]
    The RBR was resurrected 3 years ago and is a shorter 3-day affair, this event also has great future potential.
    [3][/3]
    Astonishingly, the 3 days of the RBR yet again overlapped the Fly-UK dates, potentially diluting numbers in both events.
    [3][/3]
    You couldn’t make it up!
    [3][/3]
    I wholeheartedly sympathise with the frustrated pilots who would’ve participated in both 2013 events, but couldn’t due to the date clash.

[3][/3]
    Surely, It would be very easy indeed at this stage to ensure the 2014 RBR and any Spamfield event didn’t clash with Fly-UK 2014.
    [3][/3][3][/3]

[3][/3]

How did it all go?

Kirk - why have you taken it upon yourself to edit my post and remove the questions i asked. i wasn't rude and i didn't swear but you have totally avoided the questions. In fact you didn't even allow them it to be asked.

My questions were for John Moore who had set the date and I was asking if he (or you as the organiser this year) had attempted to liaise with Tom Dawson.

What you seem to be saying is a quite definite no.... and you seem to be potentially threatening the future of Fly Uk by planning Spamfield to undermine it next year.

I find it hard to accept that the BMAA is being so high handed about this. You have a whole year to plan.... Fly Uk always falls on the longest day.... you have a diary so there is no reasonable excuse now to clash next year.

PS Please don't edit my posts again

not real name 500 Club

How did it all go?

so do we have dates yet for either event for next year?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast