Thread: Standardised European Rules of the Air (SERA) Implementation Consultation opens.

Senior Member 500 Club

Standardised European Rules of the Air (SERA) Implementation Consultation opens.

Banned Banned500 Club

Standardised European Rules of the Air (SERA) Implementation Consultation opens.

Heavy... nearly fell off my chair in a stupor after skim reading less than 20% of it. That probaby means that there will be some embedded booby traps. Anybody enthusiastic or masochistic enough to point us to the areas which could affect us ordinary microlighters?
    Please :-)

Joan

Junior Member Settling in

One change stands out to me and is something I am against.

There is a change for the minimum height of flight from the current 500ft away from any person, vessel, etc .... to a minimum height of 500ft AGL / ASL.

So irrespective to whether you are flying over a deserted island in the west of Scotland, or flying along the coast, or crossing a stretch of water, or any sparsely populated area, you cannot fly under 500ft.

There are exceptions for training etc but no longer would you be able to maintain any height lower than 500ft AGL/ASL during a flight.

I hope I am an 'ordinary' microlighter with regards this, and other too will voice objection to this small change to how the 500ft is being expressed.

It goes without saying, flying under 500ft isn't something to be seen as being the norm, but having that ability to go lower, especially following a coastline, is one of the joys of flying a weight-shift for me.

Michael Stalker

Banned Banned500 Club

Back in 2002, the CAA held a consultation about amending the ANO to this 500ft-from-surface thing. There was sufficient objection that they kept it as is/was. We do indeed need to repeat the lobby on that one.

Anything else, anybody?