Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trimming question (aileron)

Trimming question (aileron)

Hi,

I was out flying by myself yesterday and was having quite a bit of bother trimming the aircraft.

On our aircraft we have the bungee cord with hook for attaching to the aileron cables to hold in right aileron.

I found, that to keep the wings level I needed quite a lot of right aileron held in and in addition a bit of right rudder to prevent the aircraft from slowly doing a flat turn to the left due to adverse yaw. If I let go of the controls the aircraft would consistently wind into a descending turn to the left.

Is this normal?

For info, I only weigh 65kg (145lb) and had 30 litre of fuel onboard. I had tried to trim for 80mph (so about 70kts)

I'm pretty sure the inclinometer was centered and no turning (once trimmed with rudder held in) so the wings should have been level.

Anyone else struggle when flying solo?

Cheers

Andy

it all depends on the individual trim setup on your aircraft. You can trim the aircraft in roll - either by using the flap threaded fork ends - wi ding in offset in the same sense as aileron, or for larger adjustment there are extra long lift strut. Ends that can be fitted to adjust the wing washout - fit a longer strut end to the rear lift strut on the rising wing, to correct the tendency.

Rudder trim is provided by the centering bungee mid way down the back of the fuselage - slide it left on the cross tube to give some right rudder bias. Remember that bungee, like knicker elastic looses its stretch over time, so really need replacing evey five years or so, otherwise the offset effect will slowly reduce and engine slipstream and torque will win and that left turn effect will creep back.

Like all side by side seating machines, with perfect trim in cruise two up, it will roll very slightly left when flown solo, but only slightly, and easily sorted with a touch of that aileron bungee trim. But if it rolls left two up, then the effect will be magnified solo, and can be a pain, so worth sorting out. maybe aim for a very subtle barely noticeable right roll bias two up, which will then reduce left bias solo.

Paul

Paul,

Thanks for the reply, what I think I'll do is move the right flap up slightly and move the aileron with it. I'll see how that goes.

Incidentally, you were probably standing beside the SkyRanger in question at the weekend as we're based at Strathaven.

I think you might even have been talking to Sven (tall Norwegian chap) about magnetic interference on the compass.

Cheers

Andy

Don't bother moving the aileron - that wont work at all. Flight loads simply work on both ailerons simultaneously and balance their position- the only difference you will see from winding them up or down is the stick sitting off centre...

is it the red / black one - do you share with Sven?

Paul

Good advice, I've moved the aileron before I read your post and as predicted, no effect. I have noticed that there is a lot of warp in the starboard aileron, would it be worth replacing this?

I checked the flaps, they're both level at the root, but they're also slightly warped.

Yup, I share the red/black SkyRanger with Sven.

Cheers

Andy

hi andy

Warps don't really give any measurable effect - we had an MW5 with a horribly warped trailing edge that went up and down well over 10" and it seems to fly better than most others!

Also had a chap the other day that managed to put a big twist in his aileron due to cocking up the drilling doing a classic to swift conversion, and that didnt seem to make any difference either.

So just a cosmetic thing really

Regards
    Paul

I had similar to you after my conversion from classic to swift, was turning to the left and hard to make a turn to the right.
    I wound the starboard flap up 3 turns and the port one down 3 turns and that helped a bit but I then added a plus 10 extension to the rear starboard lift strut and took the pus 5 that was in it and put it in the port side front lift stru, That cured it and she now flies really good in both directions and I apply the aileron bungee when a passenger is onboard.

TV

Senior Member 100 Club

Aileron bungee!!

What a great idea :hop: how do i fit one

Answers Please

Hi Gary did you get your trim made and could you post an image and details. I'm keen to know what is the preferred shape and metal for the hook part that attaches to the aileron control wire. Is it best made in steel, stainless steel or alunimum and what thickness is the material?

Thanks for any info in advance.

Best regards

Mike

Senior Member 100 Club

Hi Mike

No, did not hear or get a reply from our members, so i still have no idea what it is or how to construct one.

If you find out could you post it on the thread mate

Regards
    GT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast