Thread: Blade front wheel

Blade front wheel

I'm new to the sport and have just bought a Blade 582. The check pilot said that whilst the a/c flew beautifully, there was a problem with the steering on the ground. If he took his left foot off the steering bar the front wheel would immediately "dive to the left", which in his opinion could pose a problem to a novice such as myself, if not during taxiing, then more than likely during landing.

With the front wheel straight, and looking at it from directly in front, the wheel appears to be leaning slightly to the right (to port). The wheel rotates on the axle O.K., so is this the symptom of bent front forks, out of adjustment/damaged shocks or ..............?

Any ideas/help would be appreciated before I start stripping it down.

Cheers,
    Ross

(There's no rear seat steering fitted)

not real name, Please Contact Admin 100 Club

Blade front wheel

Hi Ross I've got very good front fork assembly inc wheel and tyre,I want 85 for it had it as a spare got from an inspector,Dave 07808960912 I live in Malvern.

Blade front wheel

Thanks for the offer Dave. Our engineer (he works offshore) is back and had a look at it - the steering stem bush is worn and he's ordered a new one for me.

not real name, Please Contact Admin 100 Club

Blade front wheel

Ok mate ,I allways liked to have some spares around,then you hopefully never need them.

Blade front wheel

Update - after many hours of bashing, wiggling and cursing, managed to get the steering bar off of the front forks!!! Ditto for getting the front forks out of the steering bush (there's no room under the dash to get a good swing with a hammer). Now it got really interesting, getting the bush out - after many many hours of trying to drift it out from the top with all sorts of tools, none of which even moved the bl**** thing, trying to cut through it with a hacksaw blade (these things are tough, my wife suggested burning or melting it out with her wood burning tool, - 30 - 40 minutes work and it (the bush) was lying a mangled heap on the hangar floor, 20 mins later the new bush was in and the front forks fitted!
    So if your front steering bush won't come out, burn/melt a line up it with a soldering iron or the like, run a screwdriver behind it up the shaft, and it'll just pop out.

Ross

Blade front wheel

I had to replace the bushes on my old Blade. After much grunting and sweating to get steering arms off - as you say no room to get a good swing - I made an extractor. Means you can get arms off in a couple of mins. Have just sold blade so if anyone wants to buy it pls message me.

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Blade front wheel

I have an Alpha with the Gemin trike...I think its the same as the blades...I'm sure if I took my feet off my peddles when moving the steering would goto one side...if I push the trike on the ground the front wheel has a will of its own,

Why would you take you feet off the peddles anyway???

Nick.