Thread: BMW R1200

BMW R1200

Does anyone have the actual real live measured weight of the R1200 rather than a 'its looks heavy' 'my mate said they are heavy' assumptions?

I'd be interested to see one hanging on the scales, come to think of it I'd like to see a ready to go, oil, exhaust and all 912 on some scales - anyone got any pics?

At the moment I only know of one R1200 being converted for use in a microlight in the UK, I'd be very interested to hear from anyone else who is actually doing this to compare notes.

Its nice to be home, shame about the weather.

Cheers

Attached files

not real name 500 Club

BMW R1200

Andy that looks really smart...

Diamond geezer 500 Club

BMW R1200

I do know a guy the fitted a BMW to an X Air...had to do a lot of machining work to fit it...sorry I dont know which model it was but can find out if interested...it was a few years ago,

I know he had to replace it after a few years with a 582.

Nick

Diamond geezer Banned500 Club

BMW R1200

Some years ago Deepak tried offering a BMW modified for aircraft, I don't think that it went well but I've no idea why not

Ginge

Kitplanes

BMW R1200

Hi Guys,
    my first post on this forum. See this link for a Safari that is fitted with a BMW. Lots of info. I am busy fitting a 1200 in one of my Explorers at the factory. I will post pics of the installation and performance over time.
    http://www.microlighters.co.za/viewt...hp?f=23&t=8397
    Some other projects here, just scroll through the pages http://www.microlighters.co.za/viewforum.php?f=23

Diamond geezer 500 Club

BMW R1200

Here's a BMW R series engine fitted to a French registered Quantum.

I don't think it's the 1200 but it's the same family.

BMW R1200

Steve Uzochukwu said;

"Here's a BMW R series engine fitted to a French registered Quantum.
    I don't think it's the 1200 but it's the same family."

The engine in the photo' is an 1150 BMW 2000 - 2005 or there about. This is the single plug version. The later model was twin plugged and of course would suit our application better. I would be perfectly happy to sit behind this engine all day.

I have an 1150 GS I have owned since new with 100,000 hard miles on it and it has never missed a beat. There are a few examples about with double this mileage. The later 1200s are can-bus and I have no first hand experience of them but I would expect them to be ok also.

Nick.

PS The photo by Andy Baron is of a 1200.

BMW R1200

The trouble is your BMW probably only averaged 50-70mph, averaging only 10-20hp for all those miles.

No wonder they last well on a motorbike!

Makes a Rotax 912 averaging 50-100hp pretty good for the weight! But you have to pay for it of course!

Cheers,
    Paul.