Thread: SB /EUR/010 Under-wing fairings.

Diamond geezer 500 Club

SB /EUR/010 Under-wing fairings.

I found that only rivets on the left side are damaged. I think this is because the airflow from the prop causes the right fairing to lie flat on the rivets, but gets under the left one, causing it to vibrate and cut into the rivets on that side. Anybody had damage on both sides?

I've inspected several some with lots of hours, there are two different lower fairings, one with a single bend and one with a double bend along the inner edge and I've yet to decide which is better. I've only found a couple of rivets with minor wear, most have wear to the fairing itself. I'm using a closed cell self adhesive foam strip as the proposed hook Velcro is quite abrasive.
    The prop wash theory is probably right, I have two to do on Friday so will take note ( owners have looked themselves and have asked for replacement rivets to be fitted).

Chris Theakstone
    CT Aviation

Diamond geezer 500 Club

My fairings have the double lip and have cut into various rivets after 170 hours, but I not would think they have been significantly weakened yet. Thanks for the tip on the closed cell foam strip.

Donald, SB010 is for the factory built aircraft, the numbering system was always different for home built aircraft, which I think was already up to SB 015 (SB 010 for home built aircraft was the top rudder bearing), so you need to check with the importers what the SB no is.

Chris

Haven't been able to get to the airfield to check yet. Hopefully (fingers crossed) there is no issue. Any ideas on the price of the rivets. Lsa wont give price of rivets until I tell them what I want to order.... If I have to order them.

Still waiting for the other information......

Could you specify which close cell strip you are using. Any useful photos will also help.

Regards

Wayne

Wayne, I brought a 50 mtr roll, wasn't cheap ! I keep all the rivets in stock. According to the bulletin you have to have " approval" from LSA or BMAA to carry out the replacement.
    Rivets are cheap, at a guess no more than 5 worth.

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Chris,

I have a copy of SB/EUR/010 Issue 1 and it says it applies to Kit and Factory Built Aircraft. I will contact LSA and advise them of the discrepancy. You can imagine what my (LAA) inspector said when he read the bit about needing LSA or BMAA appoval for the repair. :>)

An MPD has now been issued, still referring to SB010 which has already been used on home built aircraft ( top rudder bearing).

Chris

Yes I read that bit, will be checking this Saturday. A little bird told me you are visiting on Monday. Fingers crossed your services will not be needed.

My wife is complaining that as soon as I mention your name, she has one less holiday a year. :-)

Speak soon.

Regards

Wayne