Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changes to CAA rules

Changes to CAA rules

I wonder does this happen to many qualified pilots as well as those planning to obtain their qualifications.
    I have been studying for some time preparing to obtain my qualifications, for obtaining the knowledge to enable me to answer the Air Law questions on the written exam I have read over and over again Brian Cosgroves - Microlight Pilots Handbook Issue 7 with additions in 2010 which I am informed if I absobe whats in there I should pass the exam.

Making enquires about this only the other day I was told that issue 8 contains the additional item as modified by the CAA on Air Law.

What I am asking is how are pilots informed about these modifications and how do they obtain this additional knowledge?

John

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Changes to CAA rules

You can "subscribe" to the free e-mail notification service for any, or all, of the CAA changes and notifications. Just select the relevant categories at

http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=35&mod e=sub

Hope it helps

Banned Banned500 Club

Changes to CAA rules

Any really relevant changes will also be reported in Microlight Flying.

As to changes since Cosgrove ed 7, ask your instructor. I think, without checking, all the changes involve liberalising the rules so if you were to fly according to Cosgrove 7 you'd still be legal :-)

Cosgrove 7 contains enough to securely pass the exams with 70% or better, but you'll need to look a bit deeper if you want across-the-board 100% marks.

Changes to CAA rules

Joan

I have a very old brain, not as good as when I was 30 years old, so as many others I am sure will agree to absorb as much as one can is the best idea.
    Loosing 30% of the possible information re air law is a handicap best avoided

I am told that I should purchase Issue 8 or tuition can be obtained @ £40/Hr.
    I don't entirly agree with this idea & hope that the link
    http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=35&mod e=sub
    will provide every thing I need.

John

Diamond geezer Banned500 Club

Changes to CAA rules

You may find Geoff Weighell's "Air Law for Microlight Pilots" useful, whilst not totaly up to date (hell they change almost as fast as you can print) it is more up to date the the Cosgrove 7.

You are of course needing only to be as up to date as the exam papers, if that is your main concern.

Ginge

Changes to CAA rules

Thaks Ginge,

I am afraid that would be not much different than what was advised to me initialy.
    As I wrote in my initial correpondence I was advised to purchase Brian Cosgroves Microlight Pilots Handbook issue 8
    That does not seem right as it is only three years old and all I am interested in is the additions to Air Law which must be freely available some where.
    Surely every microlight pilot does not have to go back to school or purchase a revised copy of what ever text book to bring his understanding of air law up to date every time the CAA revise the rules.

john

Banned Banned500 Club

Changes to CAA rules

Hi John
    What happens is that people join the BMAA and get notifications of changes to air law via the monthly magazine as they come about. I know people have tried to maintain a consolidated update but I don't know of anyone who has sustained the effort.

Think of it by analogy to driving, how many people buy and study the latest edition of the highway code every time it changes?

Surely your issue is getting information about changes to air law (as applicable to NPPL(M) pilots) since Mr C's ed 7 and now. Many of the changes are quite esoteric. As an example, the latest one that comes to mind is that the wording of the permit to fly now permits deliberate stalls, whereas previously it only permitted deliberate stalls from level flight. Not knowing about that sort of change isn't going to cause you to fail your exam nor is it going to cause you to fly illegally.

My advice to my own students is to stick with edition 7 if they have it already but to buy edition 8 if they are buying now. If they want to know what's changed in the interim then they can buy me a bacon butty in the airfield café and I'll tell them what I can recall. If, on the other hand, they want a structured ground school about the changes and their implications, then they can pay for my time. Most seem content to go the bacon butty route.

Joan

Changes to CAA rules

Thanks Joan for your explanation, I do understand that it could be difficult to inform every one of the modifications to Air Law made by the CAA.
    Perhaps a better way would be to keep written exams standard until it becomes necessary to modify the question to make further knowledge of a subject or subjects necessary. At this point at least it can be advised that it is necessary for all student and pilots to study up to date data, could it also be advised by the BMAA what sections of the CAP 393: Air Navigation: The Order and the Regulations ... are involved.

My instructor advised that I needed to obtain BCs book issue 8 as issue 7 was out of date for Air Law yet my copy purchased at the end of 2010 with thanks to Ian Penberthy for his help in updating chapter 6 (Air Law) for my print of the book.

John

Changes to CAA rules

Most of the changes are published in AIC's - see that at www.ais.org.uk

Paul

Changes to CAA rules

Just had a look at www.ais.uk, it looks very complicated to find the bits I need.

John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast