Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aircraft suitable for training

Senior Member 100 Club

Aircraft suitable for training

So there I was in Heathrow Airport on evening of 04/02 after spending a day on Business in London looking through Aviation Magazines for my flight home, when I saw something familiar on the front cover of Pilot Magazine. The Skyranger G-UPTA which I once owned was playing the star role in last months Pilot Magazine.
    I felt like someone after dating a Model for 5 years, dumped her and then 2 years later seen her on the front cover of a Fashion Magazine looking absolutely gorgeous and said to myself, NOOOOOO!!!!
    It was a good read, basically going through the performance, touring capability and the fact that in every way it is a far superior aircraft to a Cessna 150 and because of modern Microlights and LSA that the traditional GA Fleet is basically on its way out and will be extinct in a few years. Your piece at the end Paul sorted out any inaccuracies, as you made reference to the Skyranger Swift and the Ninja.
    Delighted that the current owner is loving G-UPTA every bit as much as I did and has the time to give it some TLC.

Damien.

Bout time you cam back to real Flying Damien, The Skyranger. you know you miss it.

TV

Diamond geezer 500 Club

So after the 300kg dereg has gone through, the next piece of pointless red tape to target is the factory A1 type rules.

Seems bizarre that all these aircraft are not falling out of the sky in their own places of origin, but can't be used to train on the UK.

Senior Member 100 Club

Your dead right Terry,

I really do miss the Skyranger. It is an amazing Airplane. I am sometimes grounded with the XL looking out the window saying , 40 mph winds, piece of piss in the Skyranger. Even a 40 mph x-wind in the Skyranger was a satisfying experience.
    But two small men at home were clipping my wings all the time. I don't feel quiet so guilty about having an XL as a hanger queen. And I still manage to fly from time to time. Now a Quik, that might be fun. Mmmmmm!!!

Damien.

Mike Cowlishaw wrote: Given all the above, a short note to Pilot Magazine seems to be in order. Perhaps best if Paul were to write that? (Just to correct possible misunderstanding, etc.)

Mike
    I have talked to them. The bit at the beginning of the article about Lots of happy students being trained in Skyrangers was popped in after they sent me the article to proof. Seems it was a genuine mistake and borne out of a bit of confusion and not understanding about the situation as regards UK and the rest of Europe, and that although two schools are using them to train UK pilots for The NPPL( wanafly and Pegasus flight training France), they are based in France where they can use them, but here we can't as a school plane, but can if the student owns it outright.

Someone wrote in to them with a bit of a vicious rant, so that and some form of response may appear in the next issue..

Paul

Banned Banned500 Club

Well Paul, at least that means Flylight'll get a mention in two successive editions of that magazine - every little helps :-)

Diamond geezer 500 Club

OK, thanks for the update. I didn't think that would have slipped by you (Paul) if it had been in article to proofread :-). Hence my initial query -- I was wondering if the rules had changed.

Joan, yes, 'any publicity is good publicity' sometimes. Certainly Pilot is helping get microlights noticed! :-)

Mike

Diamond geezer 500 Club

I let my sub. to Pilot lapse earlier this year .. was there any followup on this topic published?

Mike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12