Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quik or Quantum?????

Senior Member 100 Club

Quik or Quantum?????

Not ready to buy yet, but giving it some serious thought. I flew 3-axis for the first few years of my NPPL(M), owned an X-Air and a Skyranger. Kids came along and my hours were completely cut, from well over 120 hours/year to less than 30. Sold the Skyranger a couple of years ago and since have been happily flying a little Pegasus XL 462, whenever family, work and weather allow. I was going to hold off on upgrading for a couple of years until my 4.5 year old and 1.5 year old boys were a little older, however I am now getting an itch to upgrade sooner rather than later, might be ready to make a move during the summer. I have been well and truly bitten by the Weightshift Bug, so my plan is to upgrade to a 912 Weightshift.
    I know I have put this in the Quik/GT450 section, but I am not in the market for a GT450. My budget would be around 15,000 max. So my Question is, Would I be best going for a Quik 912 or a Quantum 912?
    A few years ago when I owned the Skyranger and before the 2 Time Sponges arrived on the scene I did a good bit of Touring. I would like to get back to some of that again, head to Spamfield or Popham for a weekend during the summer from Ireland. I was speaking to a friend of mine the other evening and he was saying that by buying a Quik I would be future proofing myself. I take his point, I was based at a very tight strip, 200 meters with poor approaches on each side, so I would have obviously been limiting myself to a Quantum 912. However I am now in a large GA Grass Strip, over 600 meters at least, so plenty of room to operate out of 2 up, although I would be doing most of my flying solo and all of my long distance touring Solo. I have flown a Quasar 503 with a Q2 wing, just for 15 minutes solo, and have also flown a beautiful Quantum 582 which was restored by my friend, so I like the Quantum, handles lovely and nice and easy to land. And I also love the challenge of visiting tight airstrips. I suppose for the time being the Quantum would be the right choice whilst the kids are still small and I could do some decent touring in it as well. But on the other hand I am thinking that if I bought a Quik I could have it for a good few years without thinking about changing again for a good while. It is not a decision I will be making for another 5 or 6 months, but like anything with me, it has become the latest topic to fill my thoughts whilst I day dream during the day.
    I had my heart set on a Quantum 912 at some stage, but now I am seeing the odd nice Quik coming on the market on AFORS for around 14,500. The fact that they are faster and sportier than the Quantum has me now seriously considering a Quik instead. Would I regret buying a Quantum over a Quik? I am sure many of you upgraded from Quantums at some stage, what would you advise. And what in particular should I look out for, or avoid?

All advice welcomed. Many thanks,

Damien.

Quik or Quantum?????

The Quantum is good sorted aircraft, but you are correct that the Quik is more fun to fly and to get around at speed. Easier to hanger, due to the small wing. Having flown both types, my preference is the Quik. However it requires more precise flying techniques, but all the later flexwings need this. After about 10 hours familiarisation you are then in the groove. Look for one with electric trimmer.
    Enjoy.

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Quik or Quantum?????

Mike. Evans wrote: Having flown both types, my preference is the Quik. However it requires more precise flying techniques, but all the later flexwings need this. After about 10 hours familiarisation you are then in the groove.
    Mike, what sort of annual commitment would you view personally as necessary to remain current on the Quik?

Quik or Quantum?????

I have flown and owned both and much prefer the quik it is more demanding in the landing phase.
    The secret if you are a bit rusty is to make sure you give yourself plenty of time on final get everything set up up well out and all will be great.
    My only concern Damien is the short field landings it can go badly wrong really easily all it takes is wet grass and your landing roll is nearly doubled as the brakes (discs) are lethal on wet grass, two up the wheels will still lock up very easily.
    The handling though makes it well worth the extra bit of effort
    regards
    William

Senior Member 100 Club

Quik or Quantum?????

Thanks for your replies. I am now based at a large Grass Airfield with mostly GA aircraft operating from the wide and long runway, so I would have loads of room to operate a Quik safely, especially for the first few hours.Thank you, my preference is going towards the Quik. I'll hopefully be in the market to make a move on a purchase during the summer.

Damien.

Quik or Quantum?????

Be sure to get Betts and Brooks tests done on the Quik sail. Or budget for either replacement Kevlar, or a new sail.
    Dave

Quik or Quantum?????

My flying time is each year is approx 100-150 hours. I try to fly every weekend even in winter at least one take off and hopefully good a landing to follow in variety of conditions. Luckily the home airfield is well drying. Good question on flight time to stay current, depends on the individual, experience on type and conditions. Thing is we are always learning, the more you do the better you are at it.
    Quik is as mentioned is a little demanding on landings, careful eye on speed, so approach is shallower than Quantum, where you just pull in to loose height, Quik responds by increase in speed, so management on this important. Tiny wing gives less drag. Which makes it fun in moving around the sky. Pegasus created good combination of wing and trike, by guess work, first-time?
    You will not be dis-appointed.

Quik or Quantum?????

Quik wing first flew in the late eighties - it was called the bandit then, and was a small q derivative that was sold abroad as a one plus one. It sold best in Italy where Poalo Rossi mated it to his trike? I flew one in a competition in the early 90's in Italy. it was a darling then.

The story goes that Pegaus didn't sell one for some years then had an order, and decided to test fly it themselves as they hadn't done one for a while. They flew it under b conditions on a classic trike. It was just after the UK rules changed to the stall speed definition. After the test flight the light bulb was lit, and fin was hacked off, some extra reinforcement added A frame shortened, trimmer added, and it was stuck on a quantum 912 trike with shortend pylon. After a bit of rework on trike wheel fins Pod area and windscreen the Quik proper was born. And quite a revolution it was.

So maybe not a case of getting it right with a first time guess, but rather a smart rebirth of an old design for a new era.

I was down with Dave lord at Wanafly last week helping him put together his new school swift! and he went front a Quik to QuikR for school plane a couple of years ago, but misses the Quik, which he reckons is the best trike ever made and has sold his R, and just taken delivery of a new Quik wing. Dave knows his trikes, almost as well as his onions, so it is an endorsement of how good it is..

Paul

Quik or Quantum?????

The Bandit! I'd forgotten that, and also had no idea the Quik was based on it. I wonder if PM would consider re-marketing it for SSDR. It would be a competitor for the Chaser (sorry Paul), and avoid some people making the radical and rather sad move of SSDRing a Quik.
    Dave

Quik or Quantum?????

Pegasus never made a trike for the bandit wing, it was only ever sold to other trike manufacturers or to privateers that wanted to fit it to their own trike - all for export - it was never certified in the UK until uplifted to Quik and fitted to the current trike. So they don't have a simpler old design to dust off and make. To develop a new one for UK SSDR would be an investment and gamble on a return. They didn't think developing a product for the current SSDR rules was worth it - prefering to deal with the Ace stuff.

In some respects designing something for the new SSDR definition makes less business sense. UK will be alone in Europe in having heavier single seaters deregulated, so such a product would need certifying for export - adding costs. And the market for such machines is very small indeed - as for a few euros more you can have a two seater. The lighter stuff does better as generally there are lighter or no certification required and in some places like Germany sub 120kg machines have simpler licensing too.

So the SSDR change whilst offering bigger scope to UK buyers, is not quite so straightforwardly good, and rather confusing in many ways for a UK manufacturer.

Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast