Thread: Quik or Quantum?????

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Member 100 Club

Quik or Quantum?????

Not ready to buy yet, but giving it some serious thought. I flew 3-axis for the first few years of my NPPL(M), owned an X-Air and a Skyranger. Kids came along and my hours were completely cut, from well over 120 hours/year to less than 30. Sold the Skyranger a couple of years ago and since have been happily flying a little Pegasus XL 462, whenever family, work and weather allow. I was going to hold off on upgrading for a couple of years until my 4.5 year old and 1.5 year old boys were a little older, however I am now getting an itch to upgrade sooner rather than later, might be ready to make a move during the summer. I have been well and truly bitten by the Weightshift Bug, so my plan is to upgrade to a 912 Weightshift.
    I know I have put this in the Quik/GT450 section, but I am not in the market for a GT450. My budget would be around 15,000 max. So my Question is, Would I be best going for a Quik 912 or a Quantum 912?
    A few years ago when I owned the Skyranger and before the 2 Time Sponges arrived on the scene I did a good bit of Touring. I would like to get back to some of that again, head to Spamfield or Popham for a weekend during the summer from Ireland. I was speaking to a friend of mine the other evening and he was saying that by buying a Quik I would be future proofing myself. I take his point, I was based at a very tight strip, 200 meters with poor approaches on each side, so I would have obviously been limiting myself to a Quantum 912. However I am now in a large GA Grass Strip, over 600 meters at least, so plenty of room to operate out of 2 up, although I would be doing most of my flying solo and all of my long distance touring Solo. I have flown a Quasar 503 with a Q2 wing, just for 15 minutes solo, and have also flown a beautiful Quantum 582 which was restored by my friend, so I like the Quantum, handles lovely and nice and easy to land. And I also love the challenge of visiting tight airstrips. I suppose for the time being the Quantum would be the right choice whilst the kids are still small and I could do some decent touring in it as well. But on the other hand I am thinking that if I bought a Quik I could have it for a good few years without thinking about changing again for a good while. It is not a decision I will be making for another 5 or 6 months, but like anything with me, it has become the latest topic to fill my thoughts whilst I day dream during the day.
    I had my heart set on a Quantum 912 at some stage, but now I am seeing the odd nice Quik coming on the market on AFORS for around 14,500. The fact that they are faster and sportier than the Quantum has me now seriously considering a Quik instead. Would I regret buying a Quantum over a Quik? I am sure many of you upgraded from Quantums at some stage, what would you advise. And what in particular should I look out for, or avoid?

All advice welcomed. Many thanks,

Damien.

Senior Member 100 Club
    I was just reading back through this thread. Thanks again everyone for your advice. Almost 4 years later what happened? Well I ended up getting a tip off about a lovely Quantum 503. It had not flown in a long time, approx 10 years, and was derigged in a cow shed, dirty and unloved. I bought it for a really good deal and took it back to the Airfield and thanks to a couple of friends we stripped it down and washed and cleaned every nook and cranny and got it fully rigged again. Everything was going well but the engine needed to be sent away to Eccelston Aviation. I was also in the middle of a house sale and house move. So my spare savings for a Quik 912 were swallowed up by the new house purchase. I bought it in August 2014 and have had 3 good years of flying it so far. I am still very much interested in a Quik, but for now I will be in my lovely Quantum 503 for another 2 to 3 years. But when the time comes I will be keeping an eye out for a nice Quik.

Damien
    Attached Images Attached Images

PILOTS are just PLANE people with a special AIR about them