Thread: What to look for when buying a Eurostar

What to look for when buying a Eurostar

I'm considering going to have a look at G-OTUN https://www.caa.co.uk/application.as...llregmark=OTUN (now in different colour scheme)

and as I've never owned one before I'm not quite sure what one should look out for (apart from the obvious paperwork stuff).

Anyone care to suggest some sensible things to include in a pre-purchase inspection?

Kit build.
    750 hours.
    I notice it's 80 HP - what's the performance difference between the 80/100 HP versions?

Thanks in advance

Eurostar owners are obvioulsy all out flying Gywn - or have heard about you and dont wnat to encourage the brand to be tarnished...

Paul

Paul Dewhurst wrote: Eurostar owners are obvioulsy all out flying Gywn - or have heard about you and dont wnat to encourage the brand to be tarnished...

Paul
    Only just spotted this! )

JulianWebb

Hi Gwyn

I've had a Eurostar 7 years and what I would look out for is:-

1 check that all the servicing has been carried out on the engine inc the 5 year rubber changes as this can be expensive to do.

2 check the engine frame has no cracks or breaks I've just had to replace mine and they cost 1k.

3 check the conditions of all the joints and rivets as mine was factory built but some had to be redrillied and replaced.

4 check the leading edges of the wings to make sure they are not pitted by insects having been left on them.

5 check all the manufacturer advisories have been done.

6 obviously check the prop and airframe for damage.

7 check the exhaust pipes from the engine to the muffler as these split after 200 hours or so depending on if they were fitted correctly or not cost is circa 150 each

8 check the tyres as they are Sava brand and don't last long but cheap to replace.

9 if it's a 25mhz radio in it that will have to be replaced soon.

10 some of the screws can look rusty around the plane but can easily be replaced with stainless.

11 do a conversion course and get it put in your logbook for insurance. Don't just try to fly it without instruction. Be warned!

From my experience of the plane that's about it. Lovely plane fast for a ML and very frugal on fuel.

Cheers Julian. Had a look at one last weekend and agreed to but subject to an inspection. Seems well looked after and it is in permit.

Only things I noted - one of the carb trays missing (sheared off).
    Rudder out of trim - ball off to right in flight
    Nose wheel seemed noisy after landing and when taxing on tarmac. Main wheels didn't. I don't recall whether this is normal.

All SBs done. Even the under carriage one which is only relevant after 1000 hours. And ignition modules replaced last year which is good as they will fail at done point.

Flew nice and fast: 85 at 3600 and 105 at a higher setting but didn't note what. Seat backs are broken at the top. It would seem to male sense to replace the (presumably gypsum board) with perhaps some ply or even aluminium with holes punched out to reduce weight. Anyone else done this is do you just put up with them needing much care?

Take a good close look at the undercarriage crossmember for cracks as everyone will have this issue eventually ( unless the repair has already been carried out), I've found and repaired the cracks on aircraft with only 500 hrs on them.
    Check nose leg bearings as the lower ones come un bonded from the carrier, a very careful inspection of the canopy for cracks as these are no longer available.
    The service records should be full and complete with worksheets.
    If you want any further info give me a call.

Chris

Thanks Chris. Chap called Dave Smith at Baxby is doing the inspection. I've asked particularly about the undercarriage SB check. It was checked in 2013. The doc seemed pretty complete.
    What does one do if one needs a new canopy now then?

You would have to commission someone to make a canopy, the check on the undercarriage crossmember should be carried out at each 100 hrs service and at each permit. Another thing to check is looseness of the flap trailing edge rivets as the joint wax supposed to be bonded and riveted but many came with only rivets and they loosen with flight loads then wear the holes quite quickly.

Seems a bit naff that Evektor have stopped providing bits for an aircraft very much in service still! The undercarriage check is only mandatory for 1000 hours plus isn't it? This one has 880.