Thread: Strobe advice to ADS(B)

Junior Member Settling in

Strobe advice to ADS(B)

Rather than steal the strobe advice topic with my own comments on ADS(B) fitments, I've started this post.

I recently picked up a Funkwerks (Now Filser) transponder at SunNFun in the states, for about 900 less than the European price. This when coupled to my Funkwerks TM250 (traffic monitor device), provides my microlight with ADS out and in capabilities.
    I can now see all other ADS(B) traffic and they can see me - I also get warnings of other transponder fitted aircraft.

This proved to be very helpful to me and others whilst flying around the Fjords in the Faroe Islands last week.

The airspace around the Faroes is not fully controlled, in the sense Vagar tower does not have a radar, clearances aren't issued, but aircraft are required to make position reports - a traffic information service.
    These position reports were initially needed from myself every 15mins due to the high number of helicopter movements between the Islands. During a 4 hour flight around the Islands, it's surprising the amount of movements the islands have.
    Having the Funkwerks setup on my microlight resulted in it being seen by the TCAS systems aboard these helicopters, and vice versa.
    A typical response to Vagar's information of a flexwing ultralight last reported xxxx was "yes we have him on TCAS, he is clear of us".
    After that first day, my need to report every 15 minutes was doubled to calls every 30 minutes, simply because everyone could see me broadcasting my position - even the tower, and those back in Scotland using flightradar24 ;-)

not real name 500 Club

Strobe advice to ADS(B)

Michael: good call, starting an ADSB thread - thanks.

On the strobes thread, Tony Harrison-Smith advised that my Trig transponder might be ADSB-enabled by the addition of a suitable (CAA approved) gps. My panel will have a GPS-capable iPad mini, connected to the Lynx powered radio interface. Does anyone know if that might provide the basis for it, or if not, how I could ADSB-enable a Trig transponder?

not real name 500 Club
    Strathaven Airfield - ys, I live on an airfield

Strobe advice to ADS(B)

So, Michael, if I read you correct, after 280 miles across the Atlantic to the Faroes in a Quantum ....

You had an "extended squitter"?

Junior Member Settling in

Strobe advice to ADS(B)

It might sound a long flight Colin, but with a tailwind it wasn't that bad. Although excited to see the tell tale signs of towering clouds covering the islands, I didn't have any urge or need to....Oh, you mean the ADS(b) set up..

Yep the transponder transmits the additional (extended) speed and location info from the TM250 along with the standard mode S info. (the 'squitt' being the packet of info which already contains the height and micro's hex address along with message type and parity check info).
    Small correction, It was 312 miles flown on the leg up. A small deviation to photo the southern-most island and wave at some fishing vessels being the reason for the additional miles.

Phil, I doubt the IPad is capable. Although the newer IPads might have a better GPS setup than the early version, it's still the case that level of precision won't be as good as what is required for EASA compliance (it's Europe who make the rules, the CAA can only beg for exemptions).
    It's for this reason there are a number of external gps units for aviation, for the iPads.
    The problem after the GPS precision issue, is getting the location info to the transponder.
    I'd imagine a jailbroke iPad may provide an easier path for obtaining software for directing the GPS data to an external device, a way of connecting the two devices, where the data can be send using the correct protocol is also needed.
    Some of the external iPad GPS devices may provide such features, but then it's not the iPad, but an approved GPS device, as Tony inferred, that is doing the job.

not real name 500 Club

Strobe advice to ADS(B)

Thanks, Michael.

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Strobe advice to ADS(B)

Hi Michael sounds like a fantastic flight...how long coming home...any pictures you can share with us,

Your flight sounds like a good artical for MF.

Nick.

Strobe advice to ADS(B)

So EASA want better precision than that from an iPad? So they can tell the difference between 3m and 30m (or even 100m). What kind of airspace capacity usage are the envisaging for the future??
    Dave