Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New tail feathers

New tail feathers

I have just received new tail feathers from Top Flight Sails. Has anyone replaced them? Any tips? I was thinking about removing all the tail section frame work and covering them at home or is it a task that can be completed on the airfield?

Cheers

Paul

not real name 500 Club

New tail feathers

Not done a Sluka befor but the method is not dissimilar to the X'Air and Rans so I would sugest doing it at home and have an extra set of hands near by too.

Diamond geezer Banned500 Club

New tail feathers

As with Mark Iv'e never done a Sluka, but suspect that it is not so different to a Thruster. Unless you have a really good hangar to work in you will probably find it better to work at home.
    One tip I found very helpful was that with any section where the shape is only slightly tapered or parallel was to use funiture polish on the metalwork before sliding on the new covers. Otherwise you will find the last bit can be a devil to get the new covers good and tight, a bit of polish makes life a whole lot easier

Ginge

not real name 500 Club

New tail feathers

They are not like the Thruster covers ( sock ) Ginge, they are sealed on all sides and you have to assemble the structure inside the skin through the holes on the corners and then tension them during the assembly.

not real name 500 Club

New tail feathers

Well, mine are like a sock, and the build manual instructs the gradual tightening of the lace until the fabric is suitably tentioned. Then, melt the nylon lace at the end to secure it.

not real name 500 Club

New tail feathers

Oh, OK.

In that case a little trick is to tention up the skins with bigish cable ties and then thread the lace trough tentioning as you go. When fully tentioned by the lace and cable ties tie off the ends and cut the cable ties out. Bobs your uncle nice tight skins with less effort then yanking on a lace.

not real name 500 Club

New tail feathers

I hope to make my own tail coverings. Does anyone know if you can buy the appropriate material - Dacron or Mylar by the square meter or whatever.

New tail feathers

Bill, Mark and Ginge: thanks very much for the advice I'll start towards the end of Sept. and let you know how I'm getting on!

Cheers

Paul

Diamond geezer Banned500 Club

New tail feathers

Bill McCarthy wrote:
    I hope to make my own tail coverings. Does anyone know if you can buy the appropriate material - Dacron or Mylar by the square meter or whatever.
    You might want to try
    http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/...ightsails.html

They would probably be willing to supply in material in sheet form. It may be handy to remember that LAS www.sales@lasareo.com are their UK reps

Good Luck

Ginge

New tail feathers

Hello all. I have a question for Paul (Medway Sluka). I am about to order a set of sails for the tail from TopFlight Sails and was confused/surprised to hear of the set they sent you, did not slip over the metal frames of the tail sections like socks. That is how my old ones have come off after undoing the lacing cords at one end. How can you assemble the sections inside the sails. Mine are welded into shape, and do not come apart to be assembled inside the new sails through the corner holes. !.. This is a bit concerning Paul . I thought I was getting a set exactly as my old ones are.
    Hello Ginge. Does the furiture polish soak into the Dacron fabric or I suppose as they are shiony inside this doen't happen. Any ideas how to stop the oil from the aileron hinges etc soaking into the fabric. This is what happened to my old set and they look terrible. (hence the new set)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast