Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: thruster / jabiru charging problems

thruster / jabiru charging problems

as a reference:

max charge rate is 10% of the Ah of the battery ie: 14 Ah ==1.4A charging current
    most " car battery chargers are rated to 4A + so that can be your problem..

also If jump starting, allow the battery to charge for 2-3 mins from your car before starting as alternators can pump out 30+ amps and kill yer battery

Thanks every one for the input

New battery fitted and starting properly again.......for the moment.

Vincent

Sorry to jump into an old thread but I'm just looking for a bit of Truster info that's kinda related.

I've just finished refurbing my Rans S6 and have fitted a Jabiru engine that was originally from a Thruster. It has the oil fed carb heater with the electrical element built in.
    Like Vincent, I've noticed that the charging voltage is a little low with the electric carb heater on and I was just wondering if the electric heater is normally used all the time or just during the decent when the engine oil will cool down?

I'm thinking of wiring mine with a switch that has a high & low heat setting and wiring the low side of the switch through a resistor in series with the heater element to reduce it's current draw and take some load off the charging system.
    I've done a few ground tests and the heater seems to heat the carb to the same temp with the resistor wired in as with out. It just takes longer to get up to temp with the resistor.

Cheers.

Scottie.

Diamond geezer Banned500 Club

We have found that switched on all the time is fine unless you have a protracted time on the ground, such as very long taxi or waiting for a string of other movements before you can take off, I had to wait 25mins once at North Weald, everybody and his mate was on the move.

So at small or less busy places I start up turn it on and it stays on untill I switch off the the engine, at busy places I leave it off untill moving onto the runway, nice and simple and works well for me

Thanks for the reply, Ginge.
    I assume your not having any issues with keeping the battery charged then. I've not ran my engine any higher than about 1200RPM so far, so maybe the low charging voltage I'm seeing wont be an issue when I get the thing flying again.
    It just had it's permit inspection done on Friday after a complete strip & rebuild. I just need to get it weighed before the paperwork goes to the LAA then hopefully they'll issue me a permit to check fly pretty quickly. It's not flown for about 3 years so it'll be good to get it in the air again.

Cheers.

Attached files

Diamond geezer Banned500 Club

Yes no problems although ours was fitted from the onset with a battery isolator switch, earlier models without it fitted sometimes suffered fron a slow drain whilst the aircraft stood awhile.

Good luck with getting her flying again, that'll feel realy good.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12