Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Skyranger heater installation.

Skyranger heater installation.

Dave Wilkinson wrote: Hi Ian,

Thanks for that, I rang Skylite re the heater kit they do but its for the different silencer I have a Rotax one (this would push the price right up changing the silencer as well) I spoke with Skylite and apparently the problem with the cross section of the Rotax silence is that there is little room to fit the wrap. I have also put the polycarbonate door top improvement on, also stopped all the draughts that I can. Do you recommend the bulkhead divider? I was wondering if it had much effect, I will ring Skylite and price one up. If I come up with anything in the mean time I will let you know. What a great days flying on Wednesday, smooth as silk.

Best regards

Dave
    Hi Dave,

I Do recommend the cockpit baffle as I have had to temporarily remove mine to install an external fuel filler kit sold on AFORS (minor mod). I Had it inspected and signed off on the 3/12 and decided to take to the sky without the baffle fitted back in and it was like a wind tunnel. When the baffle is in place it tends to shut off the rear fuselage and the air is less draughty. Regarding the Rotax exhaust, that's what is fitted to mine and all of the others I have seen with the homemade heaters. Did Flylite say that this was ok to do apart from the limited space at the top of the exhaust or did they say it would be forbidden to install?
    Best Regards Ian.

HI Ian,

In short, I was told that Skylite didn't recommend any other heater kits other than the one they sell (250 ish) but this will only fit the oval silencer which is not the Rotax one. They said all of the others they have seen and tried were not efficient. Apparently there is not enough room between the silencer and the bulkhead to fit the recommended heater kit with the Rotax silencer.

Thanks for the heads up re the bulkhead divider, I might invest in one at Christmas.

I can get the name of someone who will professionally make up a wrap to order, who is used to making heater wraps in the aviation industry, but in view of the fact that there is probably no room I didn't follow it up.

Someone suggested trying to duct the warm air from behind the water radiator but I don't think it will be anywhere near hot enough, I have had to put baffles on both the oil and water radiators to keep the temps up at this time of year.

Regards,

Dave
    keep me posted and I will do the same.

Skylite sells window thingies, and Flylite are a cut price travel shop...

We (Flylight...!) wouldnt say that we 'dont recommend' anything else. Its just that we have a system and its the CKT exhaust with heater jacket.

We wouldnt or cant forbid anything else - its not up to us - being a homebuilt its between you and BMAA if you want to progress your own mod. Its not difficult so please dont fly with unapproved stuff - if its safe they will approve it - if it isnt then....!

We moved to the CKT so we could have a ready made heater option. The rotax round can has a space problem - its close to the sump nut and the lower cowling so doesnt lend it self to a wrap. Some folk have made 1/2 or 1/4 wraps, but they arent so efficient. You might be able to make a full wrap, but it would have to be shaped to fit past the sump nut.

CKT make heater wraps for their systems. Rotax dont, and only sell their exhausts as components that need cutting and welding - so a PIA for us, compared to ordering a CKT system which arrives beautifully made and finished and with heater wrap option.

We also had problems with rotax mild steel exhaust rusting away internally, and the stainless rotax variant was prone to cracking - not where it would affect a heater wrap particularly, but the CKT was a better solution all round, so we switched to that as our standard exhaust some 7 -8 or so years ago. New Swift 2 and Skyranger2 machines now all have the Nynja type CKT exhaust, which is smaller and lighter.

Making something isnt rocket science, and we can sell the rad scoop and control box (we use a stainless diverter box as standard now), scat hose, cockpit diffuser T etc as seperate bits if you fancy having a go at making your own.

Someone tried a coolant rad type heater consisting of a small matrix with its own fan which was placed in the cockpit. one of these I believe:

http://www.t7design.co.uk/index.php?...roducts_id=189

I havent heard how well it works though - anyone know?

Paul

Hi Paul,

My apologies for the mix up with 'Skylite' and 'Flylite'.

I have nothing but good things to say about your service, your reply is accurate, and the person I spoke with did in fact tell me a lot of what you have posted, I was just trying to condense it.

Thank you for the detailed advice and the link,

Best regards

Dave

Paul Dewhurst wrote:
    Skylite sells window thingies, and Flylite are a cut price travel shop...

We (Flylight...!) wouldnt say that we 'dont recommend' anything else. Its just that we have a system and its the CKT exhaust with heater jacket.

We wouldnt or cant forbid anything else - its not up to us - being a homebuilt its between you and BMAA if you want to progress your own mod. Its not difficult so please dont fly with unapproved stuff - if its safe they will approve it - if it isnt then....!

We moved to the CKT so we could have a ready made heater option. The rotax round can has a space problem - its close to the sump nut and the lower cowling so doesnt lend it self to a wrap. Some folk have made 1/2 or 1/4 wraps, but they arent so efficient. You might be able to make a full wrap, but it would have to be shaped to fit past the sump nut.

CKT make heater wraps for their systems. Rotax dont, and only sell their exhausts as components that need cutting and welding - so a PIA for us, compared to ordering a CKT system which arrives beautifully made and finished and with heater wrap option.

We also had problems with rotax mild steel exhaust rusting away internally, and the stainless rotax variant was prone to cracking - not where it would affect a heater wrap particularly, but the CKT was a better solution all round, so we switched to that as our standard exhaust some 7 -8 or so years ago. New Swift 2 and Skyranger2 machines now all have the Nynja type CKT exhaust, which is smaller and lighter.

Making something isnt rocket science, and we can sell the rad scoop and control box (we use a stainless diverter box as standard now), scat hose, cockpit diffuser T etc as seperate bits if you fancy having a go at making your own.

Someone tried a coolant rad type heater consisting of a small matrix with its own fan which was placed in the cockpit. one of these I believe:

www.t7design.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65&products _id=189

I havent heard how well it works though - anyone know?

Paul
    OK Paul you've made your point, Flylight-Flylite it sounds the same, it was just a spelling mistake, it's a good job I didn't write a cheque with that name on or you would be sending it back. On the serious side, thanks for the info and it looks like there is no short cut (well, not any that I would like to take). Would you send me a price for an up grade to a CKT exhaust with the heat wrap as I have got everything else to install the kit. Incidently Terry Viner PMd me with his number as he said there were other ways of fitting a heater but I have been putting off ringing him to have a chat as I don't like to bother people. I am currently on nightshift, and when it is convenient to ring him after 8 pm (as he says), I always think that might be a little too late for him. I look forward to you sending me the price as I would love a heater.

Best Regards Ian.

I am not at work today and tomorrow so haven't gir exact figures but around 1k plus vat for a complete system and heater bits and a water pipe that you need to fit round the different shape can.

Don't be afraid of ringing Terry - only problem is that he might be on the phone and you will struggle to get through...,

Paul

Paul Dewhurst wrote: I am not at work today and tomorrow so haven't gir exact figures but around 1k plus vat for a complete system and heater bits and a water pipe that you need to fit round the different shape can.

Don't be afraid of ringing Terry - only problem is that he might be on the phone and you will struggle to get through...,

Paul
    Hi Paul,
    Many thanks, I will ring Terry even if it's just to have a chat, and I will be in touch with you again in the new year to ask about a mod for this.
    All the best Ian.

You got that right Paul, as for Ian, ring me any time up to 11.30 pm or 07830 206284 daytime.

Terry,
    Having gone to 3 axis and currently doing up a Skyranger, I would be very interested in anything heater wise if possible.
    thanks
    Dai

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12