Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skyranger heater installation.

Skyranger heater installation.

Hi all,
    Do you know of anyone who has retro fitted an exhaust wrap around a standard Skyranger exhaust In order to install cabin heater system? I have seen one on my travels quite a while ago and it seemed to work very well. Is there any reason why I couldn't do the same. I welcome a all helpful comments.
    Best regards Ian.

Ive sent you a PM Ian but in the meantime, the main reason for the Stainless Steel exhaust is because it dosnt rott or rust the same as an ordinary Rotax exhaust, Think how much easier it would be to get the dreaded CM poisoning (carbon monoxide) If you get that whilst flying then thats 2 differant ways to die.
    There are other ways, ring me.

TV

Many thanks Terry, I will be in touch.
    Kind regards Ian.

not real name 500 Club

Terry Viner wrote:
    .... thats 2 differant ways to die....There are other ways, ring me.

TV
    Terry: wot's this?

You taken up contract killing???? :smhair:

Carbon Monoxide and crashing to the ground when on fire.

There are several heating systems that all use the baffle on the exhaust as a heat exchanger just carry a carbon monoxide detector in the cabin

Hi Ian,

I am also after the same thing, could you forward me any helpful links and or tips (flew on the 3/12 and was frozen)

Dave

William Russell wrote: There are several heating systems that all use the baffle on the exhaust as a heat exchanger just carry a carbon monoxide detector in the cabin
    Hi William,
    Thank you for your response to my question. I Have seen a few homemade systems that people haven't even submitted a mod for and have wrapped aluminium sheet around the standard mild steel exhaust silencer. They have spoken to me and said that the exhaust is not exactly going to rot as they are out of the way of wet salty conditions and are fairly robust. There is a detailed manufacturing website showing how this is done on a Jabiru exhaust using a fire extinguisher as a former for the spacers between the silencer and the sheet aluminium, (just type in Jabiru cabin heater). While I was making enquiries I thought about the silencer cracking and found that this could happen even with the stainless type exhaust. They also said that if you sell the aircraft and the person you sell to doesn't want the heater on, it is easily removed. I would rather fly warm and comfortable and being able to concentrate on flying than freezing my nuts off. (But then again, do I have the balls to just put one on because flying without an approved mod would worry me for all it makes sense and does not effect the dynamics of the aircraft). :idea: :nono:

Dave Wilkinson wrote: Hi Ian,

I am also after the same thing, could you forward me any helpful links and or tips (flew on the 3/12 and was frozen)

Dave
    Hi Dave,

I was the same on the 3/12, the flying conditions were exceptional, lovely and smooth and hardly any wind, but I was cold, my stick hand was freezing off even with gloves. I Have managed to stop most of the little draughts and I put new polycarbonate on both doors top and bottom and cut it so they overlap about 3/4" with draught excluder strips in between (nice tight fit). A cockpit baffle that fits behind the seats are a good investment from Flylite, it stops your aircraft acting like a wind tunnel and holds the air in one place. See my other posting to William for the information that I have gathered, I have all the gear to do the job including the heater control flap valve that I purchased from Aircraft Spruce, this works by a control cable (heater cable off a car) and it will not melt as it is made from stainless steel, it also stops flames if you have an engine fire as it sandwiches the firewall as it comes in two parts.
    Best Regards Ian.

Hi Ian,

Thanks for that, I rang Skylite re the heater kit they do but its for the different silencer I have a Rotax one (this would push the price right up changing the silencer as well) I spoke with Skylite and apparently the problem with the cross section of the Rotax silence is that there is little room to fit the wrap. I have also put the polycarbonate door top improvement on, also stopped all the draughts that I can. Do you recommend the bulkhead divider? I was wondering if it had much effect, I will ring Skylite and price one up. If I come up with anything in the mean time I will let you know. What a great days flying on Wednesday, smooth as silk.

Best regards

Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast