Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cowl fasteners

Cowl fasteners

Hi Damian

I used the Camloc's over here. They have lasted well on the agent over here's aircraft. By the way I also put two each side of the binacle to alow quick opening should I need to have a look. I had the screws in and then decided on the change, very easy as you just drill for the camloc and its receptical. Just check what your allowed to do over your way.

I'm about two weeks off taking to airfield for the inspection and then the first flight etc. There is another Nynja just finished over here and it should fly within the next week.

I'd be keen to see an image of the exhaust bracket fitted to the pipe below no.4, at the exhaust pipe connection and also any info about if you fit static ports in the fuse in the UK.

Cheers

Mike

Attached files

Cowl fasteners

Hi Mike

We don't have any brackets on the downpipes - unless you mean the sliding joint on the starboard front? We also don't use any external static - we just use cockpit static with the static ports on the pressure instruments free vented. It results in no worse pitot static errors than the external vents we were using on the Skyranger.

With camlocs the problems we found were that with the big retaining washers holding the barrels right in the inner protuberance pegs the bonnet on making it very difficult to remove and refit - Phil Rigby has used these and when it was in for final inspection and test flying it caused me to swear loudly at the awkward things!

Using the small retaining washers option which allow the barrels to be withdrawn leaving only a shallow protuberance would probably fix that, but I used them on a Skyranger and it wasn't long before the holes in the cowling wore enough to let the small washers pass through and then they would fall out and get lost in the grass. If you can get away with them all being the same depth size the maybe best to fit them without retaining washers and remove them when undoing. Or another idea might be to bond a thin Ali or stainless plate with precision hole on the inside of the cowling rim at each fastener point to resist wear.

Paul

Cowl fasteners

Hi Paul
    Thanks for your time and information. Yes I did mean the exhaust support on the stb side; as I have made one like in the build manual. (Were these designed due to promoting loosness during start and stopping of the 912's?) I have a CKT exhaust on a ULS2.

Does your shop sell springs that fit the CKT S/S exhausts?

Do you sell the colour stickers that go on the fuse and wheel spats. I'm after a set for the fuse and cowl and the three wheel spats, don't require the fin ones if possible. I've included a copy of the design i'm chasing.

Regards

Mike

Attached files

Cowl fasteners

Ok - I think you mean an exhaust steady bracket that clamps on the down pipe and connects to the engine? We used one of those on the CKT exhaust we used on the Skyranger, but the CKT system for the Nynja who's shape size and position I specified and helped to prototype uses a smaller lighter can ( identified by having twin outlet pipes)and with less mass and a different position doesn't need one. You won't find one in our Nynja build manual - so maybe you are looking at the earlier Skyranger manual or something from somewhere else that has a picture of the earlier Skyranger system? Do you have the CKT nynja system?

That Nynja belongs to Chris Theakstone who has his own company that makes graphics, and he has done quite a few for other customers here. His email is chris@ctaviation.co.uk

Yes we can sell the CKT exhaust springs see http://140142.33.ekmpowershop.net/ck...ings-851-p.asp

Regards
    Paul

Cowl fasteners

Hi Paul

Once again thanks for your time and prompt answers.

I do have the CKT exhaust with the two outlet pipes. The items were purchased about August 2012.

I'll remove the steady bracket I made. (I'm not sure of the building version that the original owner of my kit printed & I can't attach the word screen copy I made to show you.)

I have emailed Chris about getting a set of blue stickers.

I'll email the store if you like as I'll get 4 spare spings, a spare turn buckle and some other bits just to stock my spares on hand. Maybe even a spare wheel tube.

Best regards and many thanks
    Mike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12