Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Homebuilt engine

Senior Member 100 Club

Homebuilt engine

Cam ring and timing gears:
    The cam ring has 3 intake lobes and 3 exhaust lobes. It runs at 1/6 crankshaft speed and rotates in the opposite direction to the crankshaft.

I have created a few spreadsheets to calculate component loads, valve events etc. The most recent calculates balance of all the major moving parts for any radial engine up to 9 cylinders and it's a monster!

Attached files

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Homebuilt engine

Wow... fantastic project... and superb workmanship.

You may be interested in this thread (If you are not already aware)

http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/light-stuff-area/12860-radial-engine.html

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Homebuilt engine

Thats a lovely piece of engineering Peter....any more pictures??

Senior Member 100 Club

Homebuilt engine

Thanks for the complimentary comment. I have had a brief break from the radial build, but I'm back on it now.
    I've mostly machined the tappet ring (sits around the cam ring and supports the tappets and pushrod tubes) and immediately found that I had incorrectly located some tapped holes in the crankcase. I have now fixed the issue by machining threaded plugs, staking them into the holes and re-drilling and tapping in the correct location.
    I'll finish the tappet ring and then post a few pictures.

Senior Member 100 Club

Homebuilt engine

More progress: The tappet ring is in place, the swinging tappets manufactured and assembled. Pushrod tubes have been turned, heads modified for proper seals, pushrod ends have been turned from silver steel and hardened.
    When I came to check pushrod lengths on the job, it became apparent that the Russian rockers were all over the place. They are steel castings which are scruffy and poorly machined. They had to go, so I have created another 50 hours work for myself. I am now machining aluminium rockers with roller tips and improved geometry.

Attached files

Senior Member 500 Club

Homebuilt engine

Hi Peter,

I have to admire the effort you are making and the results obtained so far.

I had similar ambitions being a fan of the radial engine as I believe it has so many opportunities in both performance, looks, sound and manufacturing but it was not to be.

Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing and hearing it run some day.

Mick

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12