Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: chaser wing fit - any ideas????

not real name 100 Club

chaser wing fit - any ideas????

OK I give in - try as I (and my friends) might fitting the wing to my chaser is proving a very difficult task?!
    So is there an easy way - I am seriously considering building some sort of 'wing hoist'?

Rigging Trya

You'd need to make these rubber shoes.

[ ]

Attached files

not real name 100 Club

Kestutis,

Not a bad idea (and one I had not thought of!), however, the thing that causes me most trouble is the 'tubular' hang point on the Chaser. Any support being applied via the uprights invariably pushes the uprights 'off centre' (and with them the hang tube).

I will nevertheless look closely at the rubber shoe solution.

Many thanks

Paul

You might already be doing this bug - A straight approach and trying to keep hang tube central doesn't work. So thing to do is to work the angles so you can attach with it cocked over - to do that normal procedure is to put the trike 45 degrees to the wind. Cock the hang tube over to match the monopole angle for your diagonal approach angle, lift, stagger and plop it on. Then once attached rotate wing to be straight with trike and fit the front strut.

Paul

not real name 100 Club

Thanks Paul a very succinct description of the task (I particularly like the 'stagger' element!). I have tried to mount the wing in such fashion but have had to conclude that my days of lifting (even a Chaser wing) are pretty much behind me.
    If all else fails, I have some lifting mechanism designs in my head and will construct 'something'!
    Many thanks for your description etc.

not real name 100 Club

Thought you may like to see the 'beast' that is giving me all this trouble (only in fitting the wing - it flies like a dream).

Attached files

Several trips to the Gym, and make sure you are not vertically challenged (like me!)

Most rediculous rigging system and hang point attachment known to man (apart from the ones where the nose does not reach the floor....)

KW.

Paul Wilkinson wrote: OK I give in - try as I (and my friends) might fitting the wing to my chaser is proving a very difficult task?!
    So is there an easy way - I am seriously considering building some sort of 'wing hoist'?

I don't take mine off...
    Dave

Attached files

not real name 100 Club

Dave,
    Very interested in how you achieve the wing fold shown in the picture.
    Do to have any more pictures etc?

HI Paul,

It isn't that simple. Here's a list of what I needed to do:

- Remove the pod (this stays off, I'm afraid).
    - Make a frame that hooks over the control bar and the steering pedals with pivot points that are now vertically below the wing nose-leading edge pivot bolts. This holds the wing in a fixed horizontal position.
    - Make two removable struts that hook onto the frame pivot points at the bottom and into lugs fitted at the leading edge-crosstube joints. (These struts are cranked to miss the control frame corners and go neatly up through the triangular sail inspection holes.) They need to be accurately sized to take the wing loads as they hinge back and lose support of the landing wires. Frame and struts fabricated from 1" x 1/16" ERW square section steel tube.
    - Fashion a new kingpost-keel tail cable that can be unhooked at the keel and allow the kingpost, landing wires and lufflines to flop forwards as the wings fold back.
    - Design a pull-back winch that slots into a re-designed keel tail socket. This is needed to get the huge pull necessary whilst standing at the top of a three-step step-ladder.

It works brilliantly and I'm never more than 5 minutes from flight.
    If I did it again, I'd investigate changing the design of the wing noseplate and replace it with fully articulating hinges. But at the time, I didn't feel confident about changing fundamental Chaser design points.

Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast