Thread: Duxford - BMAA Members' Bonus Days

Duxford - BMAA Members' Bonus Days

We have just launched this year's event at Duxford on 1 and 2 August. A chance to visit the magnificent IWM museums at this historic airfield by air (or by car) at a heavily discounted price.

Park next to the Control tower and join the BMAA team in the tower briefing room for coffee and biscuits before going round the museums.

Article in June Microlight Flying and full details from bmaaevents@btinternet.com

Rick Goddin

not real name 500 Club

Amongst other things, the details ask for:

"Your arrival and departure Gate. Please refer to the AIC and use the Gate references from the chart, ie E1, S2, W3 - this is essential information and we cannot issue a slot without it. IWM Duxford have asked us to point out an error in the AIC. Gate S2 has coordinates of 515923N 0000343E."

I've looked at the references, including the reference material here:

http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/public/index.php%3Foption=com_content&task=blogcategory&i d=57&Itemid=106.html

AND here:

http://www.iwm.org.uk/sites/default/files/public-document/IWM_Duxford_Inbound_Routes.pdf

Unfortunately, I can't find a refrence to 'Gates'. Can anyone advise?

Thanks,

Phil

Phil
    You can find the Gate info on the AIC, Annex A

See it here:

http://www.iwm.org.uk/sites/default/files/Duxford%20Aerodrome%20-%20Special%20Events%20AIC%202015.pdf

Martin
    PS I flew in to Duxford on Sunday, which is one of the dates listed on the AIC. I never heard anyone mention the gate references at all! I think they just need it to help plan landing slots.

One of the reasons for asking for the Gate information is to ensure that pilots have looked at the AIC.

When slots are in operation Duxford will not issue a slot (or allow one to be issued under delegated authority) unless the gate is quoted (as some evidence of reading the AIC)

Rick Goddin

not real name 500 Club

Martin: thanks a lot; very much appreciated.

Duxford slots are filling up on the Saturday! We've had well over 50 enquiries to date and about 40 slots have been issued.

Please email bmaaevents@btinternet.com to get full details and then to book your arrival slot(s). This year you can also come by road.

Rick Goddin

not real name 500 Club

A very pleasant fly-in with Duxford circuit quite busy: Calling Downwind, I was No 4 to land. Once on the ground, Marshalling was first class, with a crew bused in from North Weald, apparently. A 7 landing fee, INCLUDING free entry to the museum was a 24-carat BARGAIN. I was even pleased with my radio work, although I 'listened only' to Elvis on the way past Lakenheath/Mildenhall. [Not good, I know, but I have difficulty enough in coping with RT in ENGLISH!]

Interesting bits en-route: i. a conflicting buzzard/kite passing close overhead (50 feet?) at ~3000 ft, with a closing speed of perhaps 120 mph. ii. A muppet in a yellow Tiger Moth trying to extend a Base Leg over the threshold, crossing my path at 90 degrees, AFTER I'd called 'Final' AND then 'Short Final', as requested. On the ground later, I noticed him/her doing the same thing.

Thanks to all who made the day possible. Well done & very much appreciated.

Phil

[I tried several times to attach a picture, but there appears to be a problem uploading to the site]

Good event this year with over 60 attending so slightly up on last time.

We also made around 60 on the coffee and buns in "Arrivals" which will be given to the Microlight Flying Foundation.

Special thanks are due to fellow organisers Ray Osborne, Liz Jordan (who generously made all the cakes and buns) and Peter Goff.

There will be a fuller report in due course

Rick Goddin