Thread: Water Temperature

Senior Member 100 Club

Water Temperature

Hi all,

I've recently purchased a 582 powered aircraft and was interested to see that the water temp gauge was redlined at 100 degrees. On reading the manual it would seem that the max continuous operating temperature is actually only 80 degrees. I contacted the previous owner who said that 80 is the 'norm' but on hot days he's seen the temp rise another 10 degrees or so without any problems resulting.

I'd appreciate people's experiences on this issue.....Is the 80 degree figure a hard and fast 'Never Exceed'?

Many thanks,

Phil.

Water Temperature

Hi Phil

I have an Xair 582 and the watwer temp is redlined at 80 degrees, however, as has been said, on days with a high ambient temperature the gauge can read over 80 on climbout. When this happens I reduce power and lower the nose to reduce the temperature. In straight and level cruise there's no problem.

cheers
    Richard

Water Temperature

Hi Phil,

I echo Richard's comments above. I have an X Air Standard, the red line is 80C and that is where it normally sits. On very hot days it can go a little above that, especially on high power settings. I normally step the climb if that is happening. I view 80C as "normal" for my aircraft and it will normally sit at or below that.

Lorraine

Water Temperature

If you take it much above 90 it will lose water fairly rapidly - in my experience.

I guess it's a shadow Philip? - I had a blue top 582 D series and it didn't really cool well enough, and was difficult to keep below 80C. I experimented with some big rad ear scoops etc with limited success. So I settled for throttling back if it approached 90 and lived with it. I would be careful about using 100 as a redline - it wil be very close indeed to throwing water out - unless this particular machine has an overreading temp gauge?

Paul

Senior Member 100 Club

Water Temperature

Thanks Paul (and everyone).

Yes, it's a Shadow (narrow body) and the temp invariably sits on 80 degrees, which didn't worry me because it was well below the red line on the gauge. However, on reading the manual which said that the MAX was 80, I contacted the previous owner and asked whether the gauge was known to over-read and the painted red line was the 'real' 80 degrees. He didn't think so but was happy to see 80 as the norm and on hot Summer days thought up to 90 was acceptable....

Obviously something I need to watch carefully, particularly as I tend to fly with a heavy passenger and healthy fuel reserves.

I'm told that the widebody DDs were particularly prone to rising water temps since the rads were shielded somewhat from the airflow? It's interesting that the air scoop cowling didn't have much effect - I was thinking of getting one for Summer use but it sounds like I could be wasting my money! Did it not help at all?

Phil.

Water Temperature

My experience with 462s was that while 80 was recommended, 100 seemed to suffer no problems. However, if you exceeded 100, the red o-ring seals at the top of the bores would fail (not catastrophically), and would need to be replaced to stop the subsequent permanent coolant leakage.
    Dave

not real name 500 Club

Water Temperature

Interesting post, I have a 532 in my Mistral and it runs very cool unless I partially cover the radiators. I really only remove them in the summer and 70-80deg on take off is normal and it soon drops to 60-70degs on cruise. On descent I often have to give a bit of throttle to stop excessive cooling so a cruise descent is preferable.