Thread: removing wing skins

Dino

removing wing skins

Hi all
    I need to move a TST on a flat bed car transporter.
    It's been suggested that I remove the wing skins which seems sensible, but how do they come off?
    I can see how to collapse the wing enough to removed the tension but I obviously need to remove the battens, has anyone any experience of this?

Ta
    D

Banned Banned500 Club

removing wing skins

the short answer is yes.

For the long answer, go onto Yahoo Groups and join Thruster Club group. In there you will find a files section at
    https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Thrusterclub/files with all the information you could want.

Ginge is typing a more pertinent reply which should arrive on here soon.
    Joan

PS. I did this rig/derig aide memoire a few years back. It assumed's you've done it a few times and know how to do the individual actions. It also assumes you've got the special TST trailer many of us used to use for transporting the wing assembled with the battens still in, but it should give some idea of what's involved. [i]
    http://www.bumble-bee.demon.co.uk/Mi..._Derigging.pdf

Hope it helps

Diamond geezer Banned500 Club

removing wing skins

Yes a good number of times, removing the wings is straightforward as long as you support the tip in a fashion to maintain the angle of attack that it has at that attitude. As you say folding the wing structure is as you would expec,t as long as you attach the length of string that is tied to the outboard rear end of the internal bracing wire so that when you re-attach you can retreve the wire end. Detact the aileron and withdraw the battens, I use an old screwdiver with the tip removed and the end of the remaining shank bent to 90 degrees, this also makes re-fitting the battens a lot easier. With that tool you just insert into the hole in the batten end that is there for this job and pull them out.

Should you wish to fold the struts take care that you don't allow tham to scissor or the lower plate will be damaged. And when re-rigging attach the rear spar to fuse tube first as this bracket is able to swivel helping you to aline the front spar attachment.

Dino

removing wing skins

Thank you Jean.
    I've sent a request to join and the aide memoir is downloading now.
    D

Dino

removing wing skins

Also thank you Ginge a good tip with the screwdriver.
    D

Banned Banned500 Club

removing wing skins

Re bent screwdriver trick - make sure you round the end off nicely or a simple slip becomes an expensive repair (been there; done that)

You'll find good advice in the group files section on retensioning the wing after rigging. It's well worth doing properly as a good taut wing skin makes a noticeable improvement in performance.

Edit: spelling

Dino

removing wing skins

Joan wrote: Re bent screwdriver trick - make sure you round the end off nicely or a simple slip becomes an expensive repair (been there; done that)
    Umm yes that would be a shame