Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quik vs GT450

not real name 500 Club

Quik vs GT450

I may have the option coming up soon to purchase a share in a Quik. The question is: should i go for it or wait for a GT450 share to come up? I have flown Quiks before, and the handling is fantastic, but as I understand it, the GT is a more rounded machine. To give a bit of background here, I have been flying a Mercury (Alpha wing) since 2008, and I absolutely love it. I am not a 'get there fast' type, and much prefer to watch the scenery go past. However, The issues I have had with the Alpha are poor headwind penetration, and lacklustre climb two up (503). These combined make two up touring a bit of a chore, but solo flying a joy. What I really love about the Alpha is the ability to land it on a sixpence, put it down exactly where I want. I have heard many people talk about the Quik in almost evangelical terms, but I have also heard that it drops like a brick and takes an age to unstick.

So really, what I'm asking is: can one tour in a Quik, 2 up and with fuel and camping gear? Can a Quik land on small grass strips? Is the good handling worth sacrificing that extra 41 kilos?

EDIT: Reading the above, what I realise I want is: an Alpha that will do 75mph and 1000fpm, but still trim down to 50 to admire the scenery and then land in a back garden. Not too much to ask hmm? :smilewinkgrin:

Diamond geezer 500 Club

Quik vs GT450

David McAfee wrote:
    So really, what I'm asking is: can one tour in a Quik, 2 up and with fuel and camping gear? Can a Quik land on small grass strips? Is the good handling worth sacrificing that extra 41 kilos?
    I'd say the one way to answer the handling question is to find an instructor with a 450 and go for an hour's instruction.

A friend has toured with his g/f in Quik, another friend can land and take off with his on a 320m strip, no drama.

I'd say, though, having not flown the original Quik, that currency and skill levels need to be maintained.

I'd go for the 450 as the larger wing is where it's at for me, and the extra 41 kg will be very useful, speaking as a 912 Quantum owner also on 409 kg. However, if the two people touring are both 70kg the dynamic changes.

Quik vs GT450

It was a dilemma, when looking to replace my beloved Quik, which has the speed and super handling, but restricted to 409kg. As a big guy, you had to be selective on passenger, if you needed any fuel. The latest P&M modification on venting of U/S wing tips and removal of winglets, has dramatically improved handling of QuikR at low speeds. Which has the extra speed, when required for touring with 450kg AUW. The new aircraft seems to be fulfilling requirement, superbly well, with the hours building up nicely. The added plus of Explorer wheels are huge benefit on short grass farm strips, but do take option for the three wheels to be braked, it is amazing how short the landings are now.

Just thought of adding another flexwing option to your thread.

Quik vs GT450

If you want two up touring capability you're better off with the gt for it's higher weight.

If you're happy with one up touring then the quik is a blast and has a fun light handling wing. You can land it as short as a gt, but it takes a few hours to get truly familiar with its characteristics.

Depends on your requirements. I never tour 'full camping gear' two up, but quite frequently fly two up for days out... quik is better for that, in my opinion.

The newer wings change this, but you're comparing quik to gt450.?

not real name 500 Club

Quik vs GT450

Thanks for the input guys, it has really helped. I have decided to go for the Quik, as the one I have been looking at is a really nice, well sorted machine and I have been offered it at a very good price. I wasn't looking at the QuikR, as it is a wee bit outside my budget range. I also found the handling quite heavy at anything under 70. Interesting to hear about the new vents to improve this though.

I did a some of my training on a GT450, so I know how capable they are, but so many people rave about the Quik. I have also discovered that the empty weight at last weighing of the Quik offered was only 205 kg, whereas the GT450 I believe is more like 220Kg, so really only a 26kg payload difference. I can live with that, as I only plan to load up once in a while anyway, not every flight.

I have reassessed the kind of flying I plan to do. Most of my current flying is solo, but I do enjoy taking passengers, so I would like to do more of that. More interested in days out to local(ish) fields than serious touring. Any long distance stuff would likely be solo anyway.

Anyway, I feel like I am justifying myself here, but the offer is a good one, and I would rather be flying a nice Quik than waiting around for a GT.

Thanks again chaps!

David (happy imminent Quik owner)

Quik vs GT450

The Quik is super choice, excellent handling a dream to fly. Well done, I only mentioned the QuikR as a option because of the new mod has improved low speed handling dramatically. One for the future.

Quik vs GT450

David McAfee wrote: I have reassessed the kind of flying I plan to do. Most of my current flying is solo, but I do enjoy taking passengers, so I would like to do more of that. More interested in days out to local(ish) fields than serious touring. Any long distance stuff would likely be solo anyway.
    That's pretty much how my flying goes. I only like one-up touring with camping gear (a once/twice-a-year event for me).... Two up is fine for day trips... Then for fun chucking around in the evenings you can't beat a bit of 'hair on fire' solo sport flying :-)

Make sure you get used to its characteristics in landing before you take on too much cross wind.

It's got this knack of suddenly dropping right at the end of the hold off and if you're not ready for it, it will dump you. If you're not low enough for a touch down, this is when front forks get bent!

I made the mistake of venturing into a stiff crosswind only after a handful of hours on it and I bent it after being caught out like this. In a crosswind, come in fast!

Don't worry, it'll slow down quickly in the hold off! Short field performance is generally fine once you get used to it... but beware short field and stiff crosswinds (at the same time)!

David McAfee wrote: EDIT: Reading the above, what I realise I want is: an Alpha that will do 75mph and 1000fpm, but still trim down to 50 to admire the scenery and then land in a back garden. Not too much to ask hmm?
    I've got the 912UL (80hp) with warp drive prop and weigh ~80kg togged up.. Solo 'full bore' climb gets me to around 1600fpm... straight and level 73-75mph and will trim to 50mph ok (mine has electric trim).. You've met your desire!

Congrats, Enjoy!

Quik vs GT450

Nice description by Andy on landings. .
    For me a powered low approach, flying it down and then holding off for a soft touch down on rears, particularly for short fields and crosswind, which our home field always gets. I was always lost on the instructed method of coming in high with no power and holding off at last minute, okay for the slower machines with 2 strokes (frightened of engine outs), but not 912 Quiks. That's where nose wheels get bent, as many have experienced, early on.
    Practice and enjoy, their are the best.

not real name 500 Club

Quik vs GT450

Flew her properly for the first time today. Wow, what a machine! I'm hooked. Thanks for the crosswind tip Andy, I kept that in mind as there was a slight crosswind today, but in the end it was no problem at all and I had a nice landing. I also now understand the term 'hair on fire' flying! Again, wow!

Quik vs GT450

I agree with Andy. At high angles-of-attack it becomes unpredictable. You really need to keep checking the profile of the nose batten in order to minimise this. In it's defense it has never, ever dropped a wing on me, and as others will tell you, I do have a bad habit of flying the approach much too slowly for comfort..

Dave, try this experiment, go up to a couple of thousand and reduce the power anad slowley push the bar until you are doing 45/50 mph (indicated) in level flight. You will feel the bouncing as the air behind the nose where the camber is steepest is stalling. Most other flexwings that you have flown run out of control bar movement long before they reach this point. The thing with the Quik is the you can fly it right into the stall (like a 3-axis plane) and you have to keep that in mind.

It will also do this in a turn so watch those bank angles until you're used to it.

Laurie (2)

[quote="Andy Fell"

It's got this knack of suddenly dropping right at the end of the hold off and if you're not ready for it, it will dump you. If you're not low enough for a touch down, this is when front forks get bent!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast